Thursday, 29 August 2013

Blog Tour and Guest Post: Undeniable By Liz Bankes


Welcome to this stop on the Undeniable Blog Tour! Today I have a guest post from the author of Undeniable, Liz Bankes. For the guest post she has chosen her top five teen dramas. Here it is:

My Top Five Teen Dramas By Liz Bankes

In UNDENIABLE Gabi gets a rather awesome summer job - she is a runner on her favourite TV show ever, The Halls. I love a good teen drama. They give you people to fancy and couples to get obsessed with, as well as many moments of heart-leaping, weeping and hilarousness - some of it unintentional (Dawson Leery's crying face). So here are some of my faves: 

1. Skins 
I have a bit of an odd thing with Skins. On one hand I love the drama, craziness and the heartbreak, on the other I am very aware that my teen years were no way near as cool as Skins and far more like the Inbetweeners. Nevertheless, Skins gave me plenty of couples to love - Sid and Cassie, Emily and Naomi, Mini and Alo, Chris and Jal, Cook and Effie (shhh I know I was meant to say Freddie). And with actual teenagers, rather than 25-year-olds playing 15-year-olds. (See no.2) 

Best moment: a tie between Emily and Naomi in Freddie's shed (series 4) and fireworks for Chris (series 2) 

Worst moment: Series 7. HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO ME. 

2. Dawson's Creek 
The original. DC went out on T4 on Sundays when I was in year 9 and so Monday morning at school began with Dawson’s Creek breakdown. Which mainly consisted of: will Joey pick Dawson or Pacey? and I WISH PACEY WAS REAL. It featured the oldest looking 15-year-olds the world has ever seen, saying things like ‘psychoanalyse’ and ‘non seqitur’ like it was normal, but Dawson’s was still undeniably awesome. 

Best moment: Dawson’s crying face and Pacey and Joey aboard the True Love can be merged into one, as they happen within moments of each other. No one knew whether to cry or hysterically laugh. 

Worst moment: I always wonder who thought it would be a good idea for Dawson’s dad to die because he lent down to pick up an ice cream off the floor of his car. I was supposed to be all sad and shocked, but instead I was thinking, ‘did he think he could still eat it??’ 

3. As If 
Before Skins came along, the British version of Dawson’s Creek was As If, with its set of six students and their tangled relationships. And with an added 90s catchphrase as a title. Cheeky Jamie was, for me, the British Pacey and he was part of the fans’ favourite couple, Jamie and Sooz. It also starred Lost in Austen’s Jemima Rooper, adding to my feeling that I LOVE EVERYTHING SHE DOES. 

Best moment: Jamie and Sooz finally get together. In a shopping trolley. 

Worst moment: Jamie and Sooz get untogether when she has a stupid affair with a stupid artist man. 

4. The O.C. 
At the beginning this seemed like it might fall into the unintentionally hilarious category, when bad-boy-actual-criminal Ryan pitched up in posh OC land and said ‘I stole a car’ in a voice so deep it was mostly just vibrations. Luckily the show lightened up after that and became an addictive mix of love dramas, family secrets, comedy and people getting shot. There were also plenty of people to fancy, if we ignore the season of Ryan’s bowl haircut. 

Best moment: Seth and Summer’s spider man kiss. 

Worst moment: ‘I stole a car’. 

5. Sugar Rush 
I loved this book and was very excited when it was made into a TV show starring Girls in Love girl. It was the story of Kim (Girls in Love girl) who was secretly in love with her bit mad, bit bad best friend Sugar. Kim followed Sugar round Brighton, getting into dodgy scrapes and being in love with her, but gradually becoming more confident about who she was. 

Best moment: Sugar is in loads of trouble and Kim has to finally decide whether to keep getting involved in her friend’s mistakes. The conclusion involves a chase, a hotel room and some car stealing that would make Ryan from the OC proud. 

Worst moment: Saint, with her cool hair and clothes and general coolness, was lovely and probably a better girlfriend for Kim, but I was always a Kim and Sugar fan, so I quite wanted her to go away.

Thank you Liz for the great guest post! 

About Undeniable: 

Undeniable
Release Date: 1st August 2013
Publisher: Picadilly Press
Format: Paperback
Pages: 192

Synopsis: Frank, funny and fabulous – the new romantic novel from Liz Bankes

Gabi is so excited – she's spending the summer working as a runner on her favourite TV show. It's a dream come true! Plus it's perfect for for distracting her from The Break-Up – especially with all those gorgeous actors around.

And then there's Spencer Black: student, extra, expert flirt. Everything with him is fun, intoxicating – and uncertain. Things between them are hotting up when he lands a minor role on the show. So is it make or break for them? Is Spencer undeniably the one for Gabi?

About the Author: 

Liz Bankes grew up in Sevenoaks (or One-oak as it should be called since six of the oaks fell down). 
As a child she was passionate about books, the Beano and Ryan Giggs.

She has been writing since she was little, drawing plenty of cartoons and comic strips, giving them to her family to read and then waiting patiently (staring at them intensely) until they laughed. In year 6 she co-wrote, with a friend, The Sealyham Story (like the Iliad, but in Wales), which was scandalously ignored by all the major literary prizes. Then at secondary school she wrote a story about a woman who killed people and turned them into pies. Instead of a referral to a psychologist the school gave her a creative writing prize and sent her on her way.

Since then she’s been writing book reviews and blog posts (find out more on her blog site) and, secretly, more stories.


Thank you to Liz for stopping by and to Piccadilly Press for inviting me to be a host on the blog tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!