Friday, 17 May 2013

Submerged Blog Tour: Guest Post By Nicole Sobon


Welcome to this stop on the Submerged Blog Tour hosted by Itching for Books. Today I have a guest post from the author of the novel. First of all I will introduce you to the novel, Submerged. 


Submerged
Series: Outbreak #1
Release Date: 14th February 2013
Format: Paperback / ebook
Pages: 384

Synopsis: After a mysterious virus makes its way into the United States, the government demands that states seal themselves off from one another and do their best to protect their surviving residents. When the state of Florida is bordered off from the surrounding states, Taylen Fincher, a seventeen-year-old girl with a yearning for her former life finds herself wondering how much of what they’ve been told is true.

When Troum took control of the state, he told the residents that the other states had fallen to the virus and that he wouldn’t allow the same thing to happen to them. But Taylen doesn’t believe it. She insists that there is still life outside of the state, and she is going to do whatever it takes to prove it… but her actions will cost her more than she ever expected.

Troum kidnaps Taylen’s sister, Penelope, in hopes of coaxing her into behaving – into being a submissive resident, much like the others. But Taylen isn’t one to give in that easily.

Eager to rescue her sister, Taylen will set out on an adventure that’ll force her to open her heart to the unexpected and to uncover secrets that will change everything.


Guest Post
My Writing Process By Nicole Sobon

Before I even start an outline, I usually start jotting down scenes/ideas as they come to me. I need to make sure that there is enough of a story behind the idea before I commit to it. Once I’m comfortable enough with continuing, I begin the dreaded outline process. (I don’t always outline, sometimes I just allow the story to tell itself.) 

This is also when I’d begin doing my research if the book requires it. 

Sometimes I can knock out an outline fairly quickly, other times, it can take weeks (which is usually the case with any outline I draft for the Emile Reed Chronicles). I’ll be honest, I don’t like outlining, at all. I only do it when I have to. With the Emile Reed Chronicles, I have to outline because I have to know where I’m going with the story in advance. I’m currently working on Deprogrammed, the second novel and fourth installment in this series, and I’m carefully following my outline. One little mistake could easily ruin the final outcome for Emile’s story, so I have to be incredibly careful. But with a book like Submerged, I didn’t outline. I tried, but the story kept moving away from where I intended it to go (the outline is a completely different book than the final product). Sometimes, I just have to allow the story to tell itself. 

If it is part of a series that I am working on, I keep a print out of the prior book next to me. I’ve read all of my books at least twenty times. Program 13 I have read close to fifty times. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to remember every single detail. So I try to jot down the basics (eye color, hair color, style, etc.) on a sheet of paper and attach it to my outline, if there is one. I also keep the print outs next to me in case I have to go back and re-read anything (when you’re connecting three novels and four novelettes together, you have to be incredibly careful that the story lines up correctly). 

Once I feel comfortable, I open up Word and start typing. 

I know people say not to edit while you write, but I do. I actually double check each chapter with the help of Grammarly after I have finished writing it. This is probably why it takes me so long to write a book, but I want the first draft to be as clean as possible. 

After I finish the first draft, which is usually around 60k words, I send it off the beta readers. I let them mark it up and tell me what needs to be changed while I take some time away from the story, this way, when I come back to it later on I have refreshed eyes. 

After I go through their edits, I let it sit again for a bit before I start my own edits. 

I usually send it off to the betas again at this point so that I can do one final round of edits. Once I receive it back from them, I go over it again with Grammarly and my red pen, and I clean it up as best as possible. This is usually when the manuscript goes from 60k words to 70k words. 

After I’m satisfied with the final product, I either prepare for the query process or I format the manuscript for publication. 

Random facts: 

· I listen to a lot of music while writing – mainly White Lies. 

· I usually go through an entire notebook per manuscript full of jumbled ideas. 

· Capture is the only book that I’ve written in parts, meaning that I jumped around while writing … it was also my first novel, so I wasn’t entirely sure how to go about writing it. 

· When I traveled to Seattle, I took a lot of photographs that later became my inspiration for the settings in Program 13. (I do try to familiarize myself with the setting if the story takes place in a real location.)

Thank you to Nicole for the great guest post! 

About the Author: 

Nicole Sobon is a YA author of several novels, including Program 13, The Emile Reed Chronicles, Capture, No Place Like Home, and the latest Submerged. This is the first in her dystopian duology. 

Find Nicole here: 

Giveaway: 

Thank you all for stopping by. Be sure to check out the rest of the tour, the schedule can be found here. Thank you Nicole for the awesome guest post! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!