Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Clockwork Princess By Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess
Series: The Infernal Device #3
Release Date: 19th March 2013
Publisher: Walker
Format: Paperback
Pages: 568

Synopsis: Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?

Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

Review: Oh Clockwork Princess, you have made me so damn emotional right now and my heart lies in tatters on the floor. Cassandra Clare you are a very talented writer who has the ability to make your readers feel so much in the space of 500 or so pages. Even after finishing this book, it is still haunting my thoughts and making emotions boil inside me, overwhelming me. Clockwork Princess is the perfect finale to an incredible series. It is fast paced, emotional, serious and funny all at the same time. The switch that controls my emotions has truly been fried. I don’t really know how else to summarise this book except that it is the perfect cocktail of a variety of emotions and finality. 

Clockwork Princess joins Tessa and the Shadowhunters of the London Institute as they prepare for the ultimate battle that will decide the fate of all shadowhunters. The novel begins when the shadowhunters have to go after Gabriel and Gideon’s father who due to Demon pox has unfortunately turned into a demon worm. Tessa who was trying on a wedding dress joins the team as they go to see the demon for themselves. Upon arrival they find many secrets deep within the Lightwood home and a warning about The Infernal Devices. They all realise this is the beginning of the end and together they must prepare themselves for battle while also finding the hideout of the Magister himself, before the Clockwork army descends upon London and the Clave. 

I love how The Infernal Devices has a large cast of characters who are all very fleshed out and real. I love watching them grown and develop it’s one of my favourite parts of being a reader. Tessa in this book grows immensely. We see her find her inner strength and use it to act independently and ultimately come to terms with her power. Tessa is a very wise character, who loves reading and books, and this gives her wisdom beyond her years and she does use it. She’s compassionate and will help those she loves even if it means putting them before her. She is just an overall great character, yes she has some flaws, such as jumping into things without thinking about the consequences but that’s what makes her even more real. Tessa is one of my all-time favourite characters and the sacrifices she makes in this book are incredible. I really don’t want to say goodbye to her. 

We then have the boys. I will start with Will. Oh gosh, I have so much love for Will and how he sacrifices everything for Jem even if that includes his own happiness. People call will shallow and rude, how can you call someone who steps back and lets his dying best friend be happy instead of himself be shallow? Will is a very talented shadowhunter and he doesn’t let the seriousness of his job get him down. He has a great sense of humour, which I love. He adds humour and much needed lightness to an otherwise dark and serious topic. I love Will so much, yes he is rather good looking and he’s a troubled boy but he has so much kindness underneath the mask, and I cannot ever forget what he did for Jem and Tessa. 

Now onto Jem… I think he changed in this book. He was overly eager to get things done, I know he was dying but he seemed to put pressure on the others. Don’t get me wrong I like his character but there was a shift in this novel. He began doing things for himself, not really caring the effect it had on his loved ones. Yes he was still wise ole Jem, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive him for getting in Tessa and Wills way. Yes I know she loved them both but I always believed that she loved Jem more due to sympathy and not true love. 

There were so many more characters but I can’t really go into too much detail and this review is so long already. Cecily was a brilliant addition to the cast with her passion like Wills and I liked how we got to view the London institute from an outsider's POV. We learnt more about Gabriel and Gideon and I loved seeing their opinions changed as they saw the real picture, not one covered by prejudice that their father created. They really did come into their own and ultimately restore the Lightwood name. Oh and Charlotte, what a strong women she is. I just loved how powerful she could be and how she proved to all shadowhunters and those alike that women are not the weaker sex. I was rooting her on the whole way. One thing I would have liked to see though is the baby. Henry is still a mad genius and he is one clever man and we see some of the inventions that are of everyday use in TMI being created by him here. 

This was another great thing about Clockwork Princess we got to see many items from TMI in this novel and learn how they got to where they are in the future books. It’s really interesting to see and it just makes me want to read the TMI books again to see all the connections. 

I would talk in-depth about the setting of the novel. Of course we have the London Institute which is as grand and gracious as ever but there’s more. I cannot really talk about them though without giving away some key clues to the plot. Therefore all I will say is that Clare describes the various settings greatly, painting an incredibly vivid picture in the mind of the reader. 

If you’re worrying about the novel being purely focused on the love triangle, don’t worry. This book has a lot of action and adventure in it that will leave the reader wide eyed and on the edge of their seat cheering on their favourite characters. This then leads to the finale, not the epilogue I will talk about that in a moment. The grand finale is so good! I didn’t see it coming at all. I really want to talk more about it in depth but I can’t as that will spoil it. There is so much heart break in the finale and so much danger, but in the end sacrifice wins all. It was very clever Clare, I approve greatly. I also really enjoyed the following chapters where we got to see the results of the battle and what happens afterward, with a hint into the future. At this point I was on the edge, my emotions were all over the place but I was so happy with how things turned out. Until I read the epilogue. 

Now onto that epilogue, the one that will tear your heart out and crush it. I was near to tears and I never get near to tears for any book. As Tessa recalls events from her past, my already broken heart was splitting into smaller pieces. The first half of the epilogue was full of some of the best writing included in the novel and you really see the talent Clare has as a writer. Then you get the second part of the epilogue and gosh anger took over my whole body, when I put the book down I called my friend who is also a fan and had a huge rant over that ending. I was so angry. Yes, what I wanted had happened and then that ending happened. I was left with a whole what the actual fuck question flying through my mind. I was like no no no this cannot happen now. Why Clare? Why would you ruin my perfectly perfect ending by doing that? It isn’t fair! 

Right take a deep breath and step away. Now moving on to the family tree, it is so interesting but I was slightly disappointed as it only included three of the shadowhunter families. I’m now not as concerned learning that Clare will be writing another Shadowhunter trilogy set in 1903, so I’m hoping we will get more answers there. 

Right my lovelies. If you’re still reading this, thank you so much for valuing my opinion of the novel and give yourself a pat on the back! Clockwork Princess is a shining jewel of a novel, one that you want to keep clean and looking it’s best on display to the world while deep down you must protect it from others as your copy has the physical markers of the journey you took while reading. Of course the inside if the novel shines twice as brightly as that gorgeous cover. Clockwork Princess is a masterpiece and the perfect finale to the trilogy. It has everything a novel needs, great characters, action and fast paced battles, mystery and solutions, love and heartbreak and emotional unpredictability. It’s easily right up there with my favourite novels and one that will continue haunting my thoughts for a long while. 


Here's are some of my favourite quotes from Clockwork Princess: 

"The good suffer, the evil flourish, and all that is mortal passes away."
Pg 116

"Tessa looked quickly to Will, but he only crossed the room as he always did to lean against the fireplace mantel. Cecily had never been able to decide if he did this because he was perpetually cold or because he thought he looked dashing standing before the leaping flames." 
Pg 162

"I am catastrophically in love with you."
Page Number not remembered. 

“Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.”
Page Number not remembered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!