Thursday, 7 February 2013

Stolen By Lucy Christopher

Stolen
Release Date: 4th May 2009
Publisher: Chicken House
Format: Paperback
Pages: 301
Source: Bought

Synopsis: Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

Review:  You saw me that day in the bookstore before I saw you. You had that shiny cover that caught my eye, wanting something from me, as if you'd been waiting for a long time for someone to pick you up. I was the one you trapped and stole away. You're not just a book, Stolen. You are an emotionally packed novel full of beautiful prose.  You pulled me in from the first page and wouldn't let me go, no matter how angry or frustrated I got, you made me suffer through it. It's only now I see you did it for my own good. That your elegantly bound pages were holding a masterpiece that begged to be read. 

I bought you home and you haunted my thoughts. Whenever my eyes looked over my bookshelf, your white spine stood out the most begging to be read. I obliged. I couldn't keep my hands off you. I'd read many emotional novels but you truly were the icing on the cake. You deal a low blow leaving the reader even more confused than the main protagonist herself. Even now I can't fathom what you were trying to tell me. I don't know whether to believe Gemma was suffering from Stockholm syndrome or not. You put me right into her place. You stole me away to a land far away from my home, you locked me up in your world where no outsiders could get to me and then you made me feel. I felt so many emotions towards you but I could never get past that fondness and love that was blooming in my chest. No matter how much you emotionally scarred me, I knew you were showing me the real you. That under all the ink and paper there was a person hurting, suffering from something that happened long ago. You didn't mean to hurt me, you just wanted to be loved. The thing is the line between love and hate is very thin and at times I didn't know which side of that line I belonged on. I was in the exact same place as Gemma, you'd manipulated my feelings for you, or had you? Was I just learning to accept you for who you really were? 

My dear, Stolen, you were set out to ruin me from the start. I'd heard how heartbreaking you were but I didn't realise the true extent of those words. You made me feel so much more than a novel has ever made me feel before, you took my heart and shattered it but then you began to put it back together, you tried to save me before the ultimate blow but I'm now just as heartbroken as before. Oh Stolen you've made a complete mess of me and even now I'm none the wiser.  Now we have finished, you taunt me, you're always there but out of reach. The thing is do i reach for you and love you again or do I turn away and move on with my life as if you never existed? As if you never stole me at the start?  I have so many questions that need answers but you can no longer give them to me as I've turned the final page. 

Our journey may be over but you will continue to haunt my dreams. Stolen, Thank you for stealing my heart. 

There's my attempt at writing in a similar style of the book. Guys I hope I conveyed the truly emotional state this book left me in correctly. It's one book that everyone should read, It really makes you question yourself and those around you. I loved this book and it will always have a place in my heart. 


1 comment:

  1. I love your review, Annabelle. I absolutely loved Stolen and you did a perfect job of conveying I think most people's feelings when reading this book.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!