Monday, 11 February 2013

Six Moon Summer By S. M. Reine

Six Moon Summer
Series: Seasons of the Moon #1
Release Date: 29th April 2011
Format: ebook
Pages: 198
Source: Bought

Synopsis: Rylie's been bitten.

She's changing.

And now she has three months to find a cure before becoming a werewolf... forever.

Rylie Gresham hates everything about summer camp: the food, the fresh air, the dumb activities, and the other girls in her cabin. But the worst part is probably being bitten by a werewolf. Being a teenager is hard enough, but now she's craving raw flesh and struggles with uncontrollable anger. If she doesn't figure out a way to stop the transformation, then at the end of summer, her life is worse than over. She'll be a monster.

Review: You know you get those books where the world is just so realistic that you fall into it and the characters are so fleshed out that they are real? Yes, Six Moon Summer is one of those books. I sat and read this book on an spring day with the sun shining down upon me and the birds chirping outside and I felt that  I could be sitting at the summer camp with Rylie. I don't get that overwhelming feeling very often but I love it and how realistic and relaxing it is. Six Moon Summer is one brilliantly written book, it easily conveys the story without being overly complicated or descriptive and it's straight to the point. It was a lovely easy read that I cannot wait to explore further. 

Rylie's parents are going through a nasty divorce and to keep Rylie away from it all they send her off to Summer camp. Rylie does not want to be here and what's worse is the other girls don't want her there either and they will make her life a living hell until camp is over. That's the beginning of Rylie's problems, she then gets bitten by a werewolf and has four moons to find a cure before she ultimately turns into a mindless monster. With the help of the mysterious Seth, they find as much information as possible that they can gather at the camp while trying to make sure the werewolf doesn't strike again. Rylie begins to change and this makes the other girls back off but she becomes more violent and blood thirsty. She knows time is running out and it's only getting harder. 

Rylie's used to being in a city so when she's sent to summer camp, she isn't pleased in the slightest. The thing is she's written so well and doesn't come across as a stroppy teenager. I just want to write here that she is amazing! She's going through a tough time at home as her parents are going through a divorce and they've sent her away, she must be feeling pretty betrayed because of that. Then she has all of the stuck up rich bitches who are her cabin mates, who just want to make her time at camp hell. After all she is an outsider to them and the inner wolf will try and make them all pay for their actions. Rylie will try to get away from everyone and not participate at all but the camp leaders will not have that. She's forced to participate, the only person she can tell her secrets too is her journal and even that is ripped away from her. Rylie doesn't mind being rebellious and once she's been bitten this is in full force. The bite changes her, she becomes aggressive and bloodthirsty, she breaks out in a fever before every moon. I just love Rylie's character and how she grows throughout the book and how she sacrifices everything at the end. 

Seth was also an interesting character but he wasn't in the book all the time which allowed us to bond with Rylie and get to know her. I really liked how Rylie was mainly on her own allowing us to see and experience everything from her point of view without it being clouded with boys. It was so different to paranormal novels on the market, we don't get to see the love interest much at all and I loved this. It shows us that Rylie is a damaged but strong heroine who doesn't need a boy to save her whenever she gets into trouble. 

S. M. Reine has really added her own twist to the werewolf legend and it's very good indeed. I loved this book and everything about it. I don't think I found any flaws in it at all and I just happened to devour the next two books on the same day. Reine truly is a unique and talented author and I cannot wait to continue the series. If you're looking for a paranormal novel that is different and written incredibly well, then you should give this book a go. It is perfect! It was just the novel I was looking for. 


3 comments:

  1. Is this self published? It seems like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It's self published! It was incredible!

      Delete
  2. An author I follow loves S.M. Reine. I have a couple of her books, I should give one of those a whirl one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!