Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Sister Assassin By Kiersten White


Sister Assassin
Series: Sister Assassin #1
Release Date: 19th February 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins Children
Format: Paperback
Pages: 302
Source: Netgalley

Synopsis: She never chose her deadly gift but now she’s forced to use it. How far would you go to protect the only family you have left?

Annie is beset by fleeting strange visions and a guilty conscience. Blind and orphaned, she struggles to care for her feisty younger sister Fia, but things look up when both sisters are offered a place at Kessler School for Exceptional Girls.

Born with flawless intuition, Fia immediately knows that something’s wrong, but bites her tongue… until it’s too late. For Fia is the perfect weapon to carry out criminal plans and there are those at Kessler who will do anything to ensure her co-operation.

With Annie trapped in Kessler’s sinister clutches, instincts keep Fia from killing an innocent guy and everything unravels. Is manipulative James the key to the sisters’ freedom or an even darker prison? And how can Fia atone for the blood on her hands?

Review: Oh Sister Assassin, where did things go wrong? Right let's take a step back. First the title, Sister Assassin, I think I would pick up any novel titled that as it just sounds so kick ass and action packed. Next the Cover, I love this cover a hell of a lot more than the US one as it seems to fit so much better with the story. Even though the girl on the right looks pretty grumpy. The synopsis sounds interesting too and leads to us believing that this was the beginning for Annie and Fia but it's not. No, they've been stuck at this school for years being used by the evil Kessler like puppets. Yes, so you see things were looking up for this novel at the beginning but No. I was incredibly disappointed with this book and maybe even slightly confused with it all. I was even angry, this wasn't what I was expecting. I will explain more in a moment. 

Sister Assassin follows sisters Annie and Fia. Annie is a blind girl whose special power is seeing strange visions that aren't always true. Fia is her younger sister and her power was a lot less interesting, she has perfect instincts. Yep, that's all.  Fia and Annie both live at Kessler's school for Exceptional girls. A school that tries to find and pull out all teenage girls who show signs of holding a stranger power. Annie is pretty useless to Kessler, she's just another tool that can easily be replaced. Fia on the other hand is unique and Kessler will do anything to keep her on his side, even if that does mean keeping Annie hostage. Kessler stops Fia from seeing Annie because they never know what she will do next, would she really harm her own sister to get out and free? After refusing to kill a guy, who is the love interest, things just get worse for them both. If Kessler finds out they will both wish they were dead. 

The book is told from two point of views, Annie and Fia's. Past and present. I didn't really understand the point of including flashbacks as they were pretty useless and didn't bring anything to the story and plot, it just showed us that both girls have always been whiny and grumpy. The alternating point of view confused me, yes each chapter was headed by which character was narrating but the voices sounded exactly the same. If the name wasn't give I would have just thought it was the same character throughout the whole novel. 

Ok let's talk characters. We shall start with Annie, the older blind sister. I expected Annie to be the mature older sister but she didn't really act her age at all. She was always moaning and just simply whining about everything. Yes things weren't exactly perfect for her but it wasn't like she was being tortured or anything. She had a good life and a secure place to live, she was safe from all harm. Fia, was a bit more interesting. Let me just state right now that i loved her fight scenes but they were just over so quickly. It was great seeing a girl be able to look after herself but if she didn't have her "perfect instincts" she would be useless. She's also reckless and not in the good way.  Her sister has visions that always end in tragedy and when she sees something bad happening to Fia after she goes dancing she warns her. Fia totally ignores this, ignores her beloved sister's pleas and goes out dancing. Obviously things go wrong just like Annie warned. Oh why Fia, you know the world you live in is harsh and you do all the stupid things. My mind may just explode with all your stupidity! 

Ok and the little love sub arc in the novel was pointless. There was nothing real about it. Fia was all "hey I just saved your life so be eternally grateful please?" No it doesn't work like that Fia. Gosh, I think I will have to end this review soon.  I've seen this has been tagged Romance on goodreads a few times, and it's just incorrect. There was nothing romantic about it, don't even get me started on Kessler's son James. 

So my lovelies, did I like this book? No I did not. Yes the idea behind the story could have been great and all brilliant things but it just wasn't. White's writing was flat, as were the plot. I would say the characters were too, but she got me thinking about them so strongly she must have gotten something right. This may be a good read for some people, but there were just so many flaws that were flashing at me the whole time I was reading. There was such an awesome title and cover, wasted on this novel. Alas I'm sure it will bring in many new readers to White's fan base but I'm note sure whether they will be pleased or disappointed. It won't be a series I continue. 

2 comments:

  1. Mind Games is a more realistic title based on your review. It fits in the sense that they art the wrong expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I didn't like the characters at all.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, and it's nice to see another UK blogger :)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!