Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Hysteria By Megan Miranda

 
Hysteria
Release Date: 14th February 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format: Paperback
Pages: 272
Source: Netgalley
 
Synopsis:  Mallory's life is falling apart. Her boyfriend was stabbed. He bled to death in her kitchen. Mallory was the one who stabbed him. But she can't remember what happened that night. She only remembers the fear ...When Mallory's parents send her away to a boarding school, she thinks she can escape the gossip and the threats. But someone, or something, has followed her. There's the hand that touches her shoulder when she's drifting off to sleep. A voice whispering her name. And everyone knows what happened. So when a pupil is found dead, Mallory's name is on their lips. Her past can be forgotten but it's never gone. Can Mallory live with that?
 
Review: It was the first page of this novel that really hooked me, it  was that which made me pick it up straight away. So many questions were flying through my head and I wanted to know more. Before long time had flown by and I was over halfway through the book. This book really did hook me in from start until finish. The writing of this novel flowed so easily and I connected to Mallory on so many levels. It was honestly like I'd know Mallory for years, I wanted to jump inside the book and be the one to comfort her in the hard times that were coming. Everything in this book was so detailed, from the new boarding school to some old ruins, It was very well done.
 
From the start we know that Mallory had stabbed her boyfriend and killed him but we didn't know why. Mallory is still haunted by him and her neighbours want nothing to do with her anymore. She is on the verge of breaking down when her parents send her off to this boarding school for a new start. She is very anxious that someone will know all about her past and spread rumours but no one does. She settles in quickly but she soon realises that, the thing that is haunting her has followed her here too and it won't leave her alone. Meeting people old and new Mallory tries to act normal but that thing is always looming in the shadows, waiting to come out. It isn't long until rumours begin and when a dead body turns up, all fingers are pointing at her. Mallory is on the brink of breaking down and things just keep spiralling out of control.
 
The novel was written in the present day but every few chapters we would get Mallory remembering the past and the events that lead to her boyfriends death. This was really interesting and well done. Right from the start we want to know what made Mallory snap and the author slowly and steadily lays out the breadcrumbs for the reader to follow until at the end we get the answer and things weren't as simple as they seemed. The revelation even comes as a shock to Mallory. Her mind had blocked out some details from that terrible night and things come back in a rush.
 
I really liked Mallory's character. She'd been through a hell of a lot and was always paranoid and anxious. That's something I can really relate to and I connected well with her. The only one who trusts Mallory is her best friend but even they are separated when she goes to boarding school. Mallory's mind doesn't quit work correctly during this hard time, it misinterprets things. When the knives disappear from the kitchen and her parents lock their door at night she thinks it because they are scared of her. How horrible would that be, the ones closest to you, protecting themselves from the harm that would come from your own hands. It's in a way the ultimate betrayal and Mallory begins to doubt herself. Is she really that dangerous? That's the ultimate question, that only she can find the true answer too.
 
Just thinking about this book and the depth of all the detail involved makes me realise how talented the author, Megan Miranda, must be. There is so much going on and things overlap and run together, past and present that is must have been so hard to write but the result is excellent. It's definitely going to be a hard book to beat in 2013. This novel is one to look out for. The mystery is there right from the first sentence and it's dealt with so well. I really enjoyed this novel and the characters were superb. I want to go and read this book again. I really connected with this book and I hope you will all read it when it's released in February!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked this so much. I'm reading this next.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!