Friday, 11 January 2013

Confessions of an Angry Girl By Louise Rozett

 
Confessions of an Angry Girl
Series: Confessions #1
Release Date: 4th January 2013
Publisher: Mira Ink
Format: Paperback
Pages: 266
Source: Netgalley
 
Synopsis: Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make...

#1: I’m livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I’m allowed to be irate, don’t you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed gorgeous Jamie Forta, boyfriend of the coolest cheerleader in the school. Now she’s out for blood. Mine.

#3: But most of all high school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien…and now it’s a case of survival of the coolest.
 
Review: This was another quick read for me but one that created all these feelings for the main character Rose. I felt so sorry for her but at the same time I was rooting her on because she was unique and had just as much right to be happy as anyone else. This is a very emotional book, after all our main characters father has died, her mother is very vacant and her brother has gone far far away. Rose is left to deal with her fathers deal all alone, there is no one to talk to so she has to cope by herself. That in itself is a very hard task but being a teenager at high school, yeah that adds some weight to the problem. I really enjoyed Confessions of an Angry Girl as it deals with many dark, hard topics like grief and it shows that there are always people who will help you and listen to you.
 
Rose Zarelli is an outcast at school, she's different and not part of any of the little social groups. Her best friend has decided to become a cheerleader and she leaves Rose behind without a second glance. Rose still has Robert but she needs him to know she doesn't want a relationship with him and to give her some space. All the anger and sorrow from her fathers death has built up inside Rose and it's just waiting for that small trigger so it can explode. Rose tries to stay hidden but when Jamie Forta kisses her, it's hard not to look for him. Even worse is his creepy cheerleader girlfriend, who is a control freak and is out to get Rose. Teenager life is never simple but when everyone is out to hurt you, who can you turn to? Rose begins to realise that there's no-one there for her anymore except the mysterious Jamie. High School is hell, even more so for Rose the angry girl.
 
Rose was a character who had many problems in her life. Things just haven't been going her way. She's mad at her whole family for leaving her when she needed them most, none of her friends will ever understand her situation. She's just so lost, she tries to stay calm headed but everything is building up inside her and soon it will all boil over with disastrous consequences. It was really interesting seeing the different sides of Rose's character, the upset side, the scared, the helpless, even the happy side. You just wanted to give the girl  a hug and tell her we're there for her. We're there with her as she's an outsider looking into the teenage world of parties, sex, etc. She's always hidden in the shadows. We also learn how intelligent she is and how she realises how easy mistakes can be made.
 
In the novel a few things are stressed, but I think the most important thing was about safe sex and having mutual respect with your partner before you do the deed. This was really stressed in the novel and it was handled brilliantly. It would be great if all teenagers knew this lessons before they do something they will most likely regret. Also bullying was a big factor in the novel and we get to see ways in which to handle the situation correctly.
 
Confessions of an Angry Girl is a YA novel full of important messages and information that all teenagers should know. This book has a lot of depth despite it being a quick read and you will come out of it wiser. It's a novel I recommend to teens as there's a lot to learn here while reading one heck of a good book. Oh and after that ending I can't wait to see what's going to happen next!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love YA books like this instead of stories that are all about love triangles. There's still romance but it's great that the author added a "moral" to the story to make it more personal.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!