Saturday, 22 December 2012

Scent Of Magic By Maria V. Snyder

 
Scent of Magic
Series: Healer #2
Release Date: 18th December 2012
Publisher: Mira
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400
 
Synopsis: Hunted, Killed—Survived?
As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avery of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avery is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avery will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avery is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.
 
Review: I love Maria V. Snyder's work and I've read all of her novels out at present. She is one of my favourite authors but I feel her Healer series lacks slightly compared to her Study and Glass series. Don't get me wrong this is a good book but her other series are better and I believe this is why I'm finding it hard to review because I'm comparing it to the others. New readers may think completely differently to me as they are new to her work but I've come to love her other work and these Healer books fall slightly short. It pains me to say this but I like all my reviews to be honest. Despite this Scent of Magic is a good fantasy novel, it's just not my favourite by the author.
 
Scent of Magic joins Avry shortly after she was bought back to life by a Peace Lily. All of her friends believe she is dead and this gives her the perfect excuse to go undercover and find out what the enemy, King Tohon is doing. She also needs to fix things with her sister who still believes Avry abandoned her. Kerrick, Avry's lover is not happy with her choices but he must return to his home town to protect it from some tribes. Going their separate ways they both learn there are more threats than just Tohon. Kerrick finds out that the tribes are planning to take over Alga and other places and his brother struck up an agreement with the leader which may not be in the realms best interest. Avry, now disguised as Sergeant Irnia, she begins to train Estrid's army the skill of remaining silent in the woods all while trying to gain more information. Of course trouble follows Avry everywhere and it isn't long until it hits. Separated Kerrick and Avry must face their enemies alone.
 
Avry is the last healer in all of the fifteen realms. I liked it in this book where Avry didn't need to rely on her healing powers. There's so much more talent and skill to her character and this time we really see it shine through. We see her intelligence shine through as she uses strategy and knowledge to use her new disguise to the full potential to get all the information she needs. Kerrick we didn't get to see so much in this novel but I liked how she didn't have to depend on him always being there to save her. She used her own wit to get out of tricky situations.
 
The novel is told from both Avry and Kerricks point of views as they are separated during the novel. It worked quite well despite one being from first person and the other third. I didn't have any problems with it. I have always loved Snyders secondary characters in all of her novels and this one is no different. I loved Flea the most, he was just so cute, I wanted to hug him. Oh and Belen, Papa Bear. The new additions in the novel which included the sergeants were all great additions too. Unlike Snyders other series which are more focused on mystery and adventure these are way more political. This may be why it doesn't appeal to me as much, nevertheless the fantasy aspects are all on top form.
 
Scent of Magic has incredible characters with a very powerful heroine. The plot is very complex which is why this is suited to the older teens and adults. There's plenty of character growth, betrayals and conflict. There's a lot going on in this novel, so be prepared for it to take a while to read while it all sinks in. Scent of Magic is a good fantasy novel with one hell of a cliffhanger ending. Oh and it has my favourite cover ever!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. If u going to create your own website then keep some points in mind :- requirement and your thought, budget, target audienceses........etc.
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!