Monday, 17 September 2012

Perfect Chemistry By Simone Elkeles

 
Perfect Chemistry
Series: Perfect Chemistry #1
Release Date: 23rd December 2008
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format: Paperback
 
Synopsis: When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.
 
Review: If you've been apart of the online blogging community, I can probably guarantee you will have seen this book or the sequels somewhere. It's a book that has many reviews stating it's brilliance so I had high expectations for it. After reading it I can't understand all the hype. I even nearly put the book down at one point,  to not pick up again. Alas I did and here we are. Perfect Chemistry is a YA Romance book about how opposites attract, and how someone so different to you can be the perfect match. It puts the characters through the paces and makes them decide some pretty hard decision. It was interesting to see the whole thing unravel but there were a few things that really annoyed me.
 
Perfect Chemistry follows Brittany the golden girl, who has it all. Or so it seems. Her home life isn't exactly perfect, no where near. She uses her perfect facade to impress her parents and so she can fit in and be popular at school. Yes she is spoilt but her parents thrust so many rules upon her. Her so called perfect life is nearly ripped apart when bad boy Alex is forced to be her lab partner. At First Alex doesn't like Brittany he doesn't like how she's so spoilt. He has to work in a gang to protect his family. When a bet is created with his friends, to see if Alex can Sleep with Brittany, Alex has to get closer to Brittany but instead he finds himself falling for her.
 
Brittany at first seems like your average Blonde popular high school girl. But we soon see the pressure that her parents put upon her. At home she has a sister who is very ill, because of this Brittany needs to be the perfect daughter so her parents don't look bad in front of their friends. Brittany is beginning to lose it, the pressure is making her slowly crack and when she gets closer to Alex, she gets to see an outsiders view of her world. Alex is a bad boy gangster who fluently speaks Spanish. He frequently flunks school to do business for the gang. He was a much better character than Brittany, he had More energy and dare I say seemed more real. Together they have an interesting relationship but it didn't seem real to me, yes it was sweet but some things were uncharacteristic.
 
I also really did not like how much Spanish is used in the book. Yes we understand Alex and his family are Spanish but most of us readers cannot read Spanish. So why does it need to be included so often. I don't even have a clue what it says half the time, it just disrupts the flow of reading. Another thing was the whole gang thing, and how easily Alex jumped into fights. I didn't like it. There's a fight at the beginning and that's where I nearly put the book down. There were way to many gang reference and like above we know he's in a gang we are not stupid! Brittany's mum was a bitch and her father was absent, his absence wasn't really explained.
 
This book was ok but it really wasn't anything special. I don't see what the fuss is all about. It is a interesting YA Romance but there are some that are much better out there. I borrowed the second book too and I couldn't get past the first chapter the main character was such an arse. I've given up on this series. Oh and the freaking ending they end up being super scientists, hello? I thought they weren't that good at chemistry then they make a cure for a disease. I'm going to stop grumbling now and more on. If you like YA Contemporary romance then you will probably like this but it wasn't the book for me.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. OH NO! I'm sorry you didn't like this...D: I just loved this book...and believe it or not, it's not cause of Alex. My fav part of the book was the undying love Alex has for his family and loved ones. I admired his loyalty...and that's what really captured me. Sure I also enjoyed the romance and cute story...but that was the winning feature for me! :) Great Review! :D

    Although, I really hope you decide to read the next book, Rules of Attraction. That was my favourite one out of all of them...and Carlos has a certain charm, you can't help but like. Also I found it less cheesy than PC! LOL ;p

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you. I've read all three books in this series and while I enjoyed them, I'm not one of those fans that RAVE about them and daydream about the Fuentes brothers.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!