Monday, 6 August 2012

White Crow By Marcus Sedgwick


White Crow
Release Date: 2nd July 2010
Publisher: Orion
Format: Paperback
Pages: 275

Synopsis: It's summer. Rebecca is an unwilling visitor to Winterfold - taken from the buzz of London and her friends and what she thinks is the start of a promising romance. Ferelith already lives in Winterfold - it's a place that doesn't like to let you go, and she knows it inside out - the beach, the crumbling cliff paths, the village streets, the woods, the deserted churches and ruined graveyards, year by year being swallowed by the sea. Against her better judgement, Rebecca and Ferelith become friends, and during that long, hot, claustrophobic summer they discover more about each other and about Winterfold than either of them really want to, uncovering frightening secrets that would be best left long forgotten.

Interwoven with Rebecca and Ferelith's stories is that of the seventeenth century Rector and Dr Barrieux, master of Winterfold Hall, whose bizarre and bloody experiments into the after-life might make angels weep, and the devil crow.

Review: I was incredibly lucky to win a bundle of signed books by Marcus Sedgwick. I’d read extracts of his work but I’d never read the books. I was very excited when they arrived. I started White Crow first as that was the one I was most looking forward too. The extract I read was incredible scary. For the first time I was nervous about reading a book. I don’t read too many horror novels and from reviews I knew this was scary. It is full of suspense that makes your heart beat faster. It plays tricks on your mind and it is brilliant.

White Crow takes place in a small village called Winterfold. Rebecca and her father move to the village to get away from their past back in London. They only have each other and even Rebecca doesn't agree with this decision. For months they've been falling apart and now they barely speak. In the small boring town of Winterfold a legend is hidden in the ruins of The Hall. Rebecca meets the the weird Ferelith, a girl who has lived in Winterfold all her life. They become friends and together they uncover the terrifying secrets of the past.

White Crow is told from three different perspectives. We have Rebecca, the new girl in Winterfold. Ferelith, the creepy girl who has lived there all her life. Then we get journal extracts from a seventeenth century priest. The priest strays from the path of god and begins participating in some horrible experiments with a strange french doctor.

Rebecca was an interesting character. She had problems with her father and she was so alone. All of her old friends forgot about her and now she was in a new town all alone. We see her begin to question herself and even her father. So many things have gone wrong for them and she's not happy. She meets Ferelith a sharp intelligent girl, who questions life in very interesting ways. Together they have a weird friendship but they both seem to get something out of it. The priest and the Doctor have a weird relationship as well. I think it reflects the relationships of Ferelith and Rebecca but in a different time period.

This book was full of suspense but it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Although younger teens would find it slightly terrifying. White Crow was a great read that was very enjoyable. The writing was simple making it easy to read and enjoy. I've already started another Sedgwick book and I'm really enjoying it. This is a very interesting book that does make you question life and whats beyond. I really recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!