Monday, 27 August 2012

Tomorrow When the War Began By John Marsden

 
Tomorrow When the War Began
Series: Tomorrow #1
Release Date: 1993 originally, This edition 2011
Publisher: Quercus
Format: Paperback
Pages: 284
 
Synopsis: When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends. Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.
 
Review: I recently saw the film of this book and I loved it so I wanted to see what happened next. I borrowed the first two books from my library and dug in. One thing I can say is the idea behind this book is very unique and very interesting. It's something that really makes the reader think, after all this could really happen, how scary is that? The only problem I had with the book was, that as I had already seen the film I knew pretty much everything that happened, so there were no surprises. Nevertheless it's a very enjoyable read that opens your eyes to the outside world and it even prepares you to take care of yourself if this happen to you. It shows what's important for survival and what's not despite how hard it may be to let things go. I loved this book, just thinking about it makes my heart gush, it's one of those book that makes your body come alive just thinking about it. It's like an electric current running through your veins, that's how eager and how much I loved this book.
 
Tomorrow When the War Began follows a group of teenagers who decide to go camping in the holidays. Only when their camping down in the place called Hell, their country is invaded. After a week they come back up and see that their world has changed for good. All of their families have disappeared and all the houses are abandoned. They all panic until Homer decides they need to gather supplies and try and figure out what's going on. They do not want to be caught too. The group realise there may be somethings they can do to slow down the invasion so they put their heads together to make plans, but the most important thing is that they all survive.
 
I love the group of characters in this book, they are all so different and real. I like watching their relationships develop as they get to know each other, after all they're the only people who are still free. I love Ellie's character, she's tough and down to earth. She always over thinks things but at the same time, she really struggles with her thoughts after she ends up killing someone. They begin to take her over but she knows she needs to pull through and be strong for the others. She's one of their leaders. Homer, is like a brother to Ellie, they're next door neighbours. They've grown up together and they both take on the role of leaders. Homer is the clown, he's always in trouble and he knows how to disrupt things. Fi, is the town girl, she's never had to get dirty in her life. We watch her begin to adapt to the outside world and learn lots of new things. She isn't stuck up though, she's actually really nice and kind. Lee, is a passionate musician and also a deep thinker. He becomes Ellie's love interest. There's Corrie, Ellie's best friend and her boyfriend Kevin. Then there's Robyn who I also really liked. She's very religious but she's just as strong as the others or even more so. I loved seeing this different side to her. Oh and Chris, he likes drink and drugs but he helps out when needed.
 
This book is full of action and adventure, it's always keeping you at the edge of your seat but at the same time it makes you really think. It has a great plot and great characters, there isn't much that could be improved. I just loved this book! The horror these teenagers feel when they see what has happened to their home town is fantastically done. We see them struggle with so many emotions, and each handles the situation differently. It's a brilliant book that makes the reader think and it shows how teenagers are willing to help their home country. We're not all lazy. I like the message this book brings across and shows the strength and intelligence a group of teenagers can have. I've already started book 2 and I'm really enjoying it!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I've had this book in the library, and I recommend it to students sometimes, but I've never read it! I need to do that after reading your review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one; thanks, Annabelle, for highlighting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen nor heard of this but I think I'll catch the movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this series! I managed to find all but one of the series in a charity shop for 50p each. I've only read the first two so far, but I'm really excited about finishing them all soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!