Thursday, 2 August 2012

Pretties By Scott Westerfeld


Pretties
Series: Uglies #2
Release Date: 1st November 2005 (First Published)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format: Paperback
Pages: 370

Synopsis: Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

Review: Pretties is book two in the Uglies series. We were left on a cliff-hanger at the end of Uglies, so I was eager to see what happened or more precisely if Tally became pretty. The book skips ahead a month where Tally is a pretty and is living a fun life. We get to see a different side to Tally, her pretty side. It was interesting seeing this side of Tally, the side that was influenced by the pretties and special circumstances. Despite this I found that this book wasn't as interesting as book one. For one it took me longer to read, not because it's longer, it's actually shorter but because it didn't hold my attention. I found myself putting it down and leaving it for long periods of time because I just wasn't hooked. I didn't like this new Tally and New Pretty Town, I wanted the old ugly back.

Pretties join's Tally a month after her operation which turned her dazzling pretty. Tally and Shay are partying every night and becoming bubbly. Tally has to prove to the Crims, a group of pretties, that she is worthy to join them. At that party though some of the old smokies crash the party and Tally comes face to face with an old friend. He leaves a gift behind but it's hidden somewhere only Tally, would be able to find it. Her and Zane, the leader of the crims track down the gift and find two tablets. The cure. Taking a risk they take a tablet each but there are deadly consequences.

Tally was different in this book, because of her being Pretty. It changes your mind after all. She was pretty minded, always wanting to be bubbly. Instead of wanting to rebel like in Uglies. Sometimes we saw the old Tally shine through but not often. What I really didn't like was when she needed to find the cure, Zane had to edge her on or she wouldn’t do it. Where is the independent Tally we began to love? Shay was different too, I didn't like her either. When Shay is pretty she is a bitch and this is constant. She isn't a friend to Tally like she was in book 1. Zane, Tally's new Crim boyfriend was odd. It was a real love hate relationship between him and me. He was so sure of himself but he influenced Tally in everything she did, he was too protective.

Pretties is an interesting book. We get to see the opposite side of the story that Tally began to fear in Uglies. That was interesting, seeing Tally embrace this new life because the operation has altered her  brain. It's spooky to realise that this could happen. Another thing I did like about this was the little clan, Tally stumbles into, they were savage and lived like cavemen, and they were interesting. When you realise what they are really for, your heart breaks. It's very shocking.

Pretties is an enjoyable book but it just doesn't hold the reader’s attention like Uglies did. I have the next two books waiting to be read but I'll take a little break before I get to them. This is a promising series and I just hope the series picks up again in the next book.





1 comment:

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!