Friday, 24 August 2012

Beautiful Disaster By Jamie McGuire

 
Beautiful Disaster
Series: Beautiful #1
Release Date: 14th August 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
 
Synopsis: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
 
Review: Oh my gosh, this book! This book is brilliant, amazing, wonderful, fantastic and all the other good words to describe a book. This book is something else entirely, it's in a world of it own. Nothing can compare to this, at least nothing I've read so far. This book is addictive, I found myself engrossed with the story and I didn't want to put it down. The book called to me whenever I left it, my hands were always itching to grip the book and dig into the story once again. The emotional impact this book has was incredible. I have so many emotions towards this book but there just aren't any words to describe how much I loved this book. It is already one of my favourites and I want to revisit the characters again already!
 
Beautiful Disaster follows Abby as she starts at university trying to run from her past. Only Abby and her best friend America know the truth and she isn't going to let anyone else know. That is until she stumbles into Travis, who does pretty much all the things Abby has run from. They have a chemistry which is explosive. Abby knows she can't fall for a guy like that but she can't control her feelings. Travis realises that Abby is different, she's not one of the girls who throw themselves at him, instead she makes it very clear he won't get into her panties. So the two become friends and Travis begins to change, he gives up his bad boy rock and roll ways. Everyone notices the effect Abby has on Travis but the two won't admit their feelings for one another. When Travis wins a bet and Abby has to live with him for a month, things begin to get out of hand. Their chemistry sizzles and they make each other very happy but they also argue like a married couple. Abby knows it won't last, in the end the inevitable will happen, and she will have to leave and run all over again. But will things be different this time, can the pair work this out or will they remain a beautiful disaster?
 
I freaking loved these characters, they were all so real! I mean even the secondary characters were well fleshed out. I would love to meet them in real life and see the chemistry Abby and Travis have with my own eyes. Gah, they are so perfect together! Anyway lets talk about them individually. At first we were meant to see Abby as an innocent girl running from her past but we soon realised that there is so much more to her than that! She is stubborn and can easily take care of herself, she knows what's best for her and what's not. She's an independent women who is trying to make a new life for herself. It was great watching her battle her choices and seeing if she would follow her head or her heart. We saw the pain that she'd been through and it makes it easier to relate and see why she does the things she does. Some things she does in the novel may seem selfish to some readers but when you understand what she's been through you realise she is doing what she has to do to stop herself falling back into the small hole she'd just climbed out from.
 
Travis is a typical bad boy, he smokes, drinks fights and uses girls. He's very stubborn and unpredictable, he has a real bad temper that he can't keep under control. His life has fallen into a pattern, drink, smoke and use girls for sex. That is until he meets Abby, he sees something different in her. She doesn't want him like other girls do and that changes him. He sees that there's something in Abby that's different and he wants that. When he's around Abby he becomes a sweet guy who cares so much about her. Yes he made some really stupid decisions but he soon realised his mistake and he would do anything to make sure Abby was by his side.
 
Their relationship was brilliant. They bought out each others good side and sometimes each others bad sides. That's the reality of relationships, you know the other person as well as you know yourself and together they see the whole package. Abby knows about Travis' old ways but she doesn't let her cloud her judgement of him when he changes for her. Similarly Travis loves Abby so much, he doesn't care about who she is or more importantly who her father is. Gah, My heart is practically bursting just thinking about the two of them together, can I go and read the book again now? I getting withdrawal symptoms from the characters. I really liked America and Shepley too but I won't bore you anymore with details.
 
Oh and the ending, it was freaking amazing! I just want to jump around with a big stupid grin on my face! It was just Perfect!
 
Beautiful Disaster is a beautiful and emotional story about the reality of love. It shows us that the journey isn't always easy but if you truly love each other you can get through anything. I loved this book and I can't recommend it enough. Please read this! You won't be disappointed!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you loved this one. Beautiful Disaster's got so many mixed reviews! I've got the egalley and keep wondering whether to start reading it or not. Enjoyed your review :-)
    Katja @ YA's the Word

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!