Monday, 2 July 2012

WANTED: Dead or Undead By Angela Scott


WANTED: Dead or Undead
Series: The Zombie West #1
Release Date: 30th March 2012
Publisher: Evolved Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 225

Synopsis: Trace Monroe doesn’t believe in luck. He never has. But when a fiery-headed cowgirl saunters through the saloon doors, wielding shotguns and a know-how for killing the living dead, he believes he just may be the luckiest man alive. Trace wants to join "Red’s" posse, but she prefers to work alone—less messy that way.

In order to become her traveling companion, Trace has to agree to her terms: no names, no questions, and if he gets bit, he can’t beg for mercy when she severs his brain stem. He agrees, knowing only that Red is the sharpest shooter he’s ever encountered. The fact she’s stunning hasn’t escaped his attention either.

What he doesn’t know, is that Red has a very good reason to be on top of her game. She not only has the answer for how they can all outlive the plague taking over the wild, wild west, she is the answer.

Review: The author contacted me and asked whether I would like to read and review her book, after looking at reviews, I said yes. The book itself is about a very unique concept and one that had lots of potential. This is a good book, it's very unique and pulls the reader in from the very beginning, the only problem I had with it was that it seemed to lose its momentum towards the end. The beginning was great, it was strong and action packed and I loved it. It was the makings of a great novel. But then we reached the middle and it lost the momentum. Red the main character seemed to lose her kickass strong willed personality we came to love. Instead she became fragile and lost, scared, I missed the Red we were originally introduced to. The one who could take out a zombie with one shot.
 
Trace is a cowboy, whose life is interrupted when a fiery red haired girl walks in the bar and shoots a zombie in front of everyone. Trace thinks she looks familiar and it isn’t until he sees the wanted posters he finds out who she is. Trace follows Red looking out to turn her in at the next town but things don't go as planned. Trace gets closer and closer to Red until he finds out the truth about the reward and he vows to keep her safe from her past. Red allows him to know her secret but she doesn't need his company and she damn well shouldn't want it. They outrun zombies until they finally catch up.

At the start Red was an incredible Kick ass heroine who could master any gun. I loved how unique she was, her fiery hair that matched her I-don’t-give-a-damn attitude. I loved her at the beginning. What I didn't like was how in the middle she becomes fragile, alas I understand the pain she is put through but it seems her strong will was turned off with a flick of a switch. We do see it shine through at odd moments but it wasn't constant like the beginning. She seemed to lose herself. Trace wasn't your typical cowboy, yes he could play cards and shoot a pistol but he was kind and caring too. He had a rough look but his personality wasn't like that at all. Together they were an alright couple, there was definitely an attraction but Red wasn't too forthcoming with her feelings. She held them back, if she had let them go, it could have been much better.
 
This book was enjoyable despite its few flaws. I loved the concept of a zombie western and in that part it was great. I loved the zombies and also how a very select few were immune to their bites, I wanted to know more about that but I’ll guess it will wait until book two. I do want to see what happens next to the characters so I will be reading book 2. WANTED: Dead or Undead is a unique book that is an action packed western with a twist of Zombies.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!