Sunday, 29 July 2012

Uglies By Scott Westerfeld


Uglies
Series: Uglies #1
Release Date: 3rd January 2006
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Format: Paperback
Pages: 425

Synopsis: Tally can't wait to turn sixteen and become Pretty. Sixteen is the magic number that brings a transformation from a repellent Ugly into a stunningly attractive Pretty, and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks, Tally will be there. But Tally's new friend, Shay, isn't sure she wants to be Pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the Pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worse choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn Pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Review: I've been wanting to read this book for a long while. Dystopian novels seem to be my favourite at the moment, so when the series was on offer, I jumped at the chance to read them. From many reviews I had seen this seemed to be a good series. The whole concept of the novel sounds rather unique, and it is. I like how well this relates to the ideas of the modern day human. It's creepy how real this seems. It's something that could really happen, after all many people today are pretty obsessed with looks instead of Unique personalities. It really hits home, and that way it's scary how close we are to this. Uglies is an enjoyable book that really makes you question life and people. It makes you think differently and view things in new ways. It's really interesting.

Uglies is told from Tally Youngblood's point of view. She's an ugly eagerly awaiting her sixteenth birthday so she can finally have the operation that makes her pretty. In the last few weeks of being an Ugly she pulls many tricks to pass her time. One of them ends up with her meeting Shay, a fellow ugly. Unlike others Shay doesn't want to become pretty instead she wants to run away to the mysterious place called the Smoke. She asks Tally to join her but she refuses. Once Shay has ran, Special Circumstances find Tally and make her find her friend and the secret place of the Smoke. Tally doesn't want to betray her new friend but she's threatened. She has to turn in Shay if not she will never become Pretty.

Tally is an interesting character. At the start she's very obsessed with being Pretty. Since she was little it's been drilled into her that Pretties have all the fun and they are the best. Throughout the book we see Tally question these thoughts and find out the harsh reality of being pretty. She has to betray her friends even herself to find out the truth. We follow her on this journey as she realises that being Pretty isn't as good as it seems. Life in the Smoke is better and we begin to see Tally adjusting before the inevitable happens. Still Tally makes sure she will save her new friends, she will not betray them twice. Shay is an odd one, from the start she knows that being pretty isn't great but she doesn't know the truth. All she wants is to run to the Smoke to be with the mysterious David. I didn't like Shay at all, right from the start you knew she was hiding something. She was just to stuck up for my liking. David wasn't what I expected, I liked his character because he was unique, he'd been brought up in the Smoke and hadn't been brainwashed at all. His views of the world were completely different.

The whole world of Uglies is brilliant and well rounded. It must have taken a long while to plan. The history is fully fleshed out, and more than that it's believable. I found the futuristic things very interesting, like the instant sunblock patch. Some I would have never thought of, it was great. I loved the Hoverboards too, the world was very well done. The Smoke was nothing like the big cities but it too was very interesting. I also liked how pieces of our world came through, like old train tracks.

Uglies is an interesting Dystopian novel. It makes you challenge your modern day thoughts and realise that everyone is pretty in their own way. Westerfeld has done a great job of making people realise that you don't have to fit the medias idea of beautiful to be pretty. It's a much needed lesson that teens need to learn in the modern world. I really enjoyed this novel, a few twists and turns I saw coming but apart from that it was great! I can't wait to start the next book!


2 comments:

  1. We have this in our library but I'm iffy reading it, now I think I'll make time for this series. I agree, the concept is unique, we're so used to reading about pretty people this one is sure to rock some conventional notions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review :D Hmm. This book does sound really interesting :D Glad you liked it a lot ;) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!