Sunday, 8 July 2012

The Rise of Nine By Pittacus Lore

*SPOILERS, if you haven't read the previous books*

*UK Cover, This is the only one I could find so I apologise for the quality.*

The Rise Of Nine
Series: Lorien Legacies #3
Release Date: 30th August 2012
Publisher: Puffin
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Source: Proof copy from the publisher.  

Synopsis: IN THE BEGINNING WE WERE A GROUP OF NINE.

Nine aliens who left our home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack from the deadly Mogodorians.

We scattered on earth and went into hiding.
We look like ordinary teenagers.
We are not.
Until I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive. Together we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York - but I escaped.

I am Number Six. The Mogodorians want to finish what they started.

But they'll have to fight us first.

Review: I cannot begin to explain how much I freaking loved this book! It was a Sci-Fi fans dream, it was just so perfect! I was so so lucky to receive a gorgeous hardback proof copy from Puffin to read and review, I jumped straight in and began reading it. I literally stopped reading everything else to read this. Alas it did take me longer to read than I wanted as life got in the way. Nevertheless, I was always itching to get my hands back on the book and jump back into the action which is constant from page one. This book is action packed, it never slows down. I loved how the reader’s attention is hooked from the beginning and not let go until the end. Even then I was left reeling wanting to read more. How long until the next book? Quite a while. Damn, I loved this book. I loved the whole thing, I've just finished and I want to read it again. Those of you who have waited for this book since the release of book two are not going to be disappointed, The Rise Of Nine completely blew me away. Is the fact that I loved this book, getting across to you? Yes, good!

The Rise of Nine begins right after the events of The Power of Six. Number Four is recovering from escaping the Mog lair and Nine is watching over him. Six is still with Seven, Ten and Clayton as they make their way to India looking for another member of the Garde. Four and Nine try to stay hidden while they recover, during this time they get to know each other more. Both argue about where they should go next but their argument is interrupted when Mogs turn up sending them running once again. Landing in India a mysterious man waits with a message for Six and the others from someone called number Eight. Cautiously they follow him and are immediately attacked by Eight's enemies. Is the risk too much to keep going? Can they guarantee this person is actually number Eight? They know they must find the others so they head on but things are never that easy, danger always follows. Teaming up they need to find answers and find the others. Setrakus Ra has landed on Earth. The Garde know the final battle is looming closer and they have to be ready before time runs out.

The Rise of Nine is told from three point of views. We have Four, Six and Seven. We have had Four's point of view in book one and two. Seven's in number two. So Six's point of view is new. We get to see the world through her eyes and her mind. Six is incredibly serious about what they have to do on Earth and she is very strong, we see this throughout the book but we also see her vulnerable side which is very different but still she finds strength to fight her enemies. I liked seeing the vulnerable side to Six, it made her seem more human. We see it in John (Four) with his love for Sarah and in Marina (Seven) when she has to try and save people, even when there is nothing left to save. It makes the characters more human and real. That's what I love about these characters they are real even though they are aliens. They still have personalities, strengths and weaknesses.

As you can probably tell I love these characters. If you've read the rest of the series you know what John and Marina are like so I won't repeat myself talking about them. You can read more about Six above. I will instead talk about Eight, Nine and Ten. Eight we meet in India and he has some awesome Legacies. He's what I would probably say the clown of the group in a way. He can be utterly serious but he also has the ability to see the fun side of things. He creates much needed humor and happiness for the group in these bad times. We learn a bit about his history and even saw him when he was vulnerable. He was a great addition to the group and I can't wait to read more about him. Nine, is rather cocky and very confident in his abilities. He is also really strong and damn he knows it. He loves a fight and will go around looking for one. Four and Nine are always bickering about things but they are connected and even though they don't always see eye to eye they have each other’s back. Ten, is Ella the young girl who arrived on another ship. She's put through a lot in this book. As the youngest she hasn't developed all of her legacies so she's still learning. She feels slightly left out but she's a valuable member to the team. She adds strength to the numbers and I can't wait to see what legacies she develops.

I love the world building in this book. From book one it has been brilliant and well-rounded and this one is no different. Everything from Lorien to the Legacies and Mogs is great. This is a world I will happily fall into and read over and over again. One thing I also really liked about this book is that there is hardly any of Sam and Sarah, instead it's all about the Garde and I think that really added to the strength of this book. We didn't have to wait for things to be explained to the humans. It was a real benefit for this book that the two were captured. This might just me personally but I think it made the book better without them.

The Rise of Nine is full of action and fight scenes. The Garde using their legacies to fight makes the reader's heart beat faster just thinking about what will happen next. I love how these books pull the reader into the story and take them on an unforgettable journey through a brilliant world. I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this book, you just have to read it. This is one of my favourite series' and the books themselves just keep getting better. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book which will be quite a while yet. For now though, you need, yes need to read this series! If you've read the series I can tell you now that this book is incredible and you will not be disappointed. The Rise of Nine is the best book in the series so far!



1 comment:

  1. I also got an advanced copy because I was a member of They Walk Among Us! Wow! The book was incredible! I loved six's perspective on things and I loved how it expands the story! Spoiler alert : when Six was talking to Sarah and she turned into Satrakus Ra, I was shocked! I also loved when six got put into that black rock casing and Satrakus turned into her! I presumed the book with end with setrakus disguised as six would go with the others but I still loved the ending! I disagree with you though about what you said about Sam and Sarah! I love them too, just as much as the Garde and the only thing I didn't like about the book was that they never found Sam! I hope he's okay! But I'm glad Sarah is ok! :) the book was amazing and I can't wait for book 4 :D I love your review :)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!