Monday, 25 June 2012

My Soul to Keep By Rachel Vincent


My Soul to Keep
Series: Soul Screamers #3
Release Date: 15th April 2011
Publisher: Mira Ink
Format: Paperback
Pages: 378

Synopsis: Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.Until something does.

"Demon breath." No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really "can" kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends--one of whom is already hooked.

And so is someone else...


Review: My Soul to Keep is the third instalment in the Soul Screamers series. I stopped reading this series after book 2 as I wasn't too keen on it but after receiving book 6 to review, I gave the series another chance. My Soul to Keep is a good book but it had its flaws and I'll get into that more in a moment. I enjoyed this book and returning to the characters that I loved. Vincent has a gift at making well fleshed out and loveable characters. Her Shifters series is one of my favourite all-time series and that just proves her awesomeness.




My Soul to Keep joins Kaylee as she realises that a substance from the Netherworld has made it into the real world. What makes it worse is that two of Nash's friends are already hooked. It's fatal to normal humans and Kaylee has to put a stop to it before something bad happens. She needs to find the supplier and stop him shipping Demon's Breath from the Netherworld before the whole school is hooked. What's even worse is someone close to Kaylee is hooked but is hiding it from them all. My Soul to Keep is full of heartbreak and betrayal that leaves the reader hooked from start until finish.


I love the characters in the Soul Screamers series, well most of them. Kaylee is a great heroine who grows in each book; she's strong willed and will always try to save those close to her from harm, no matter what the consequences. We see Kaylee react to heartbreak and betrayal and it was done so perfectly that my heart broke along with hers. Kaylee is one of my favourite heroines, and I enjoy reading about her. Nash on the other hand, I really cannot stand. I never have liked him and this book just hit that ball out of the park. He's an ass. He so pushy and wants to get whatever he wants. He says he loves Kaylee then goes and betrays her so badly. I just want to punch him in the face. I don't like him at all. Vincent must be doing something right to make me hate a character so much. Tod, ah, I love Tod, the reaper. He's so different to his brother, he's funny, laid back but also very protective of Kaylee and I love that. He cares for her so much more than Nash. The only problem I had is that there wasn't enough Tod in this book, I wanted more Tod! Emma the best friend is also great, she knows Kaylee is different but she doesn't judge her and she sticks by her side.


Ok, I shall now talk about the things that I didn't like. Well I think it's just one major one. Ok the beginning of this book dragged so much. In the synopsis of my copy it tells the reader that Nash is addicted to Demons Breath, yes ok. Well in the book we didn’t actually find out until about 200 pages in. Hmm, that's one hell of a long wait to learn something that was on the back of the book. I was eagerly awaiting the moment when Kaylee would confront Nash but it was so far in the book that it lost the momentum that I wanted. The beginning was just too long, it could easily have been cut down but quite a bit. Despite this the last third of the book was the best part, which was where the action, heartbreak and betrayal came in full swing. That was where the reader was really gripped and didn't want to put the book down. The ending makes up for the long dragging beginning, but still it annoyed me. I really want to keep reading this series but I keep getting disappointed. I'm going to keep reading though, so keep an eye out for future reviews.


I loved the emotional ride this book took the reader on, I was so glad when Kaylee dumped Nash's ass. He totally deserved it. I think I should insert and evil laugh here. Anyway this book was a quick easy read that I really enjoyed. The characters are the best part of this series. They are so well fleshed out and real that they are like a family to the reader. My Soul to Keep is an enjoyable read that paranormal fans will love. I've already started book 4 so check back for that review!




1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of this series! I'm waiting for volume two from our Library and get on with it! I love Tod and her cousin, I forgot her name, is both annoying and funny. I can't wait when she turns into a Banshee herself!

    Talk Supe

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!