Thursday, 21 June 2012

A Game of Thrones By George R. R. Martin


A Game of Thrones
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #1
Release Date: 2001, originally 1996
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Format: Paperback
Pages: 780
Synopsis: Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

 
Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.


Review: I've been on and off reading this for the past two months and only in the last two weeks have i taken to reading it seriously so i could get to the end and finish it. A Game of Thrones is one heft of a big book clocking in at 780 pages, what's even scarier is that the sequels get even longer. The tiny text makes the book harder to read too, I admit sometimes i shy away from a book because of little text but i knew this was a book i would probably like. So i gave it a chance. The book itself was so different to what I expected. Although at times it could be complex and confusing, i still enjoyed it. It's epic high fantasy after all, so I knew it would be a hard ride. I loved many of the characters and others i hated, each character was well rounded and all had their flaws. You couldn't help but root for the ones you like. The book was action packed, keeping the reader on their feet. I really enjoyed the journey this book took me on, taking me around the Seven Kingdoms and beyond.

A world steeped with history, seven noble families have been fighting for the crown for centuries. Robert Baratheon currently holds the crown, he travels to Winterfell after the mysterious death of his Hand. There he asks his old friend Lord Eddard Stark to become the Hand of the King. It is not what Eddard wants but he can't refuse the King. He has to leave behind Winterfell and travel to Kings Landing with the King. His family is split in all directions, the Kingdom is falling apart. Families are plotting against each other and Eddard Stark is pulled unwillingly into the core of it all.


The book is told from eight different perspectives. As there are so many characters in the book i will only talk about these main ones. First we had Eddard Stark, the newly appointed King of the Hand. Ned is a wise and clever man, he was one of my favourite characters. He didn't want the job that was thrust upon him, so we see him suffering and all he wants is to be home with his family. His wife Catelyn Stark, is a strong headed women, she could lead an army herself if need be, but more than anything she loves her children more than anything else and she won't let anything happen to them. Their eldest daughter Sansa Stark, I didn't like her, she was a stuck up brat, alas we needed to see her side of the story. Nearer the end of the book, i felt sorry for her because she'd been blind to what was going on around her. Her younger sister, Arya Stark was rather awesome. She was a kick ass child, who acted more like a boy than a girl. She stood out among her siblings and she knew it. Bran Stark the younger brother, who becomes a cripple early in the books, you can't help but feel sorry for him. Eddard Starks, bastard Jon Snow, he knew he wasn't welcome by Catelyn, so he joined the Nights Watch, but even there he still felt like he didn't belong. Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf, was cocky for such a short man, we used his point of view to see behind enemy lines. And lastly Daenerys Targaryen, She was my favourite character, she was so different to the others. She's the last of the dragons. That in itself is so awesome. I won't say more as she was just so awesome!


I did enjoy this book, but i think it will be a while before i venture to read the next instalments. Nevertheless i loved the world and how haunting it was. There was so much too it, it was very well fleshed out, probably one of the best worlds there is out there. A Game of Thrones is a great book and now i cannot wait to watch the TV series! I'm sorry to leave this review short and sweet but the book is so huge that i don't want to spoil anything for you!


5 comments:

  1. This is such a good review! I absolutely loved this book, but I do agree there is so much going on it take time to get your head around it all!

    Have you seen the television series?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet but I'm planning to now. Have you seen it?

      Delete
    2. Yes I've watched both series! They are probably the only film adaptation of a book that I have ever been 100% satisfied with! xo

      Delete
  2. The TV series is excellent - there are a few changes here and there but yes, amazing books :) They can be confusing but hang on in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Honors English teacher has been going nuts trying to get me to read this book, but I just haven't had the time for it. great review!

    I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Check it out here: http://lilisreflections.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!