Thursday, 28 June 2012

Before I Wake By Rachel Vincent

*Minor Spoilers ahead, if you haven't read the rest of the books in the series, more specifically If I Die*


Before I Wake
Series: Soul Screamers #6
Release Date: 6th July 2012
Publisher: Mira Ink
Format: Paperback
Pages: 346

Synopsis: I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.
The good news? He didn’t get it.
The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent “recovering,” she’s back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won’t keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn’t just gambling with her own life….

Review: I was lucky enough to be given a copy of Before I Wake to review for Mira Ink and as I love Rachel Vincent’s work I jumped at the chance. As you can tell from my past few reviews I had to catch up on the series and I’m so glad I did. This series just keeps getting better and better. The characters are now like a family to me, it's like I’m standing there alongside them plotting how to get rid of the bad guys. I love how Vincent writes her characters they are so real, all of them, they are so vivid and the personalities are fantastically described. They are some of the best characters I have read and I will be sad to see them go when the series ends with the next book. Before I Wake is a strong addition to the series, things have changed now Kaylee is undead and we see her trying to cope with her new abilities. We see her struggle through pain, hurt and heartbreak but there are the good moments too. The love is so vividly described it just makes the reader’s heart burst from happiness. It was a true roller coaster ride of emotion, and one I’m proud I went on with the characters.

Before I Wake joins Kaylee after she's been saved from death, although she's still dead. She now works to save the souls that are being stolen. Kaylee goes back to school on the same day she receives her first trial run. The rogue reaper she encounters is one who is very familiar one she wished she would never see again. It seems Avari is up to his old tricks and is still after Kaylee's soul. When people close to Kaylee begin to be threatened Kaylee has to face some tough decisions. Would she rather sacrifice them and keep her soul or give up her soul and her friends would live? It's a hard decision and one Kaylee finally has to face before things get even worse.

Kaylee is put through a lot in this book. So many decisions land on her shoulders, tough decisions that could lead to deadly mistakes. We see her tackle these and try to keep her friends and family safe but will it be enough. We see a braver side of Kaylee now she's undead, not as many things can affect her now and we see her taking advantage of her new skills. Although she's also more vulnerable, in the night she finds her body shutting down, leaving humanity behind, she's dead after all but it scares Kaylee. She doesn't want to leave her humanity behind but she will have to fight for it. Can I just say how much i love her new ability to appear anywhere, I would love to be able to do that!

Tod is still the same protective and caring boyfriend to Kaylee. In so many ways he shows the reader how right he is for Kaylee and how perfect they are together. He will always be there for her and that’s what she needs. The chemistry between the two is fantastic, it's electrifying. It absorbs the reader and leaves them with either a wicked grin or a blush on their cheeks. There are some rather cute scenes between the two but there are also some scenes where things hot up between the two. I now it probably sounds weird but it works perfectly. They make a great couple and are one of my favourite fictional couples.

Nash and Sabine aren't as involved in this book as before but when they are they are the same. Sabine the same cold bitch and Nash is still trying to get over Tod and Kaylee together, he's trying but he's just so angry. Emma is still around and now is more aware of the dangers that are around her but she will stand by Kaylee’s side no matter what. Kaylee and her dad have some close time and she finally stands up to him and tells him how much she loves Tod and her father’s not angry. It's great to see their relationship developing especially as he missed out on Kaylee's early years.

Before I Wake is an incredible read, the reader falls into this world and doesn't want to leave even when they turn the last page. The characters stick in your mind well after you've finished reading, they are just so real. I'm really going to miss these guys, I’ve become attached but until the last book, I will be waiting. And when it comes out I will be there with the characters until the end, then I will go around giving these books to other people so they can enjoy them as much as I did. Rachel Vincent has another great series that will remain popular for a long while. If you’re a paranormal fan and haven't read these, I suggest you do and get a little bit of banshee action!






3 comments:

  1. I read too much! I stopped at book 2 and I'm sad that Kaylee died!! But at least she has Tod. Sabine is going to be a Banshee too right? I meed to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine is a nightmare not a banshee. I'm sorry if i spoiled it, i've now added a spoiler warning! Sorry!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of the books in the Soul Screamers series, but it sounds pretty interesting! Spoilers actually make me more interested in starting the series now that I know a bit of the content c: Take a look at Teenage Fiction if you can?

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!