Monday, 28 May 2012

Switched By Amanda Hocking


Switched
Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
Release Date: 5th January 2012 (Previously published in 2010)
Publisher: Tor
Format: Paperback
Pages: 335

Synopsis: What if your entire world was built on a lie?

Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her and accused her of having been switched at birth. Although certain she’s not the monster her mother claims she is – she does feel that she doesn’t quite fit in...

She’s bored and frustrated by her small town life – and then there’s the secret that she can’t tell anyone. Her mysterious ability – she can influence people’s decisions, without knowing how, or why...

When the intense and darkly handsome newcomer Finn suddenly turns up at her bedroom window one night – her world is turned upside down. He holds the key to her past, the answers to her strange powers and is the doorway to a place she never imagined could exist. Förening, the home of the Trylle.

Finally everything makes sense. Among the Trylle, Wendy is not just different, but special. But what marks her out as chosen for greatness in this world also places her in grave danger. With everything around her changing, Finn is the only person she can trust. But dark forces are conspiring – not only to separate them, but to see the downfall everything that Wendy cares about.

The fate of Förening rests in Wendy’s hands, and the decisions she and Finn make could change all their lives forever...

Review: Hmm I was very cautious when it came to this book. I knew about it when it was self published but I never read ebooks so I didn't read it. When it was scooped up for traditional publishing, I knew I would give this book a shot. Alas like the reviews state it isn't that great. I knew there would be some problems as it's a first novel but there were so many other things that annoyed me that I'll get into in a moment.

We join Wendy as she's just moved to a new town where she once again has to try and fit in. With a new town comes new people and the mysterious Finn is one of them. Finn knows more about Wendy than anyone else, he knows her past and what she's destined to become. She only needs to leave her family behind and join him in the world of Trylle where she will finally fit in.

Ok, first things first. Trolls. Hmm I knew they were different than the traditional ones but in Switched we got cold, money stealing, heartless trolls. Pretty much every Troll we met was stuck up and snobby as if they were better than everyone else. They never showed any sign of human emotion just hatred. Each Troll seemed the same just they looked slightly different. Oh and they're not ugly they're all pretty gorgeous. Something just doesn't add up there.

Onto the setting, I was expecting a woodland habitat with dens in trees or caves. The trolls living as close to nature as possible. What we got was the trolls living in mansions, with marble floors, ballrooms and balcony's. Not what I was expecting at all. What made it worse was that it wasn't described very well either, it just didn't make sense. Also they were designer clothes, what the hell? Hm. Oh and the whole switching thing, they switch their children with human ones, so when their own child reaches a certain age they can return to Trylle with their trust fund. Oh and to make sure there's a lot of money, they place their child with a wealthy family. Did I mention they're were snobby?

Next the characters. Wendy was a rather bland character. At first she was interesting with her uniqueness and how she stood up for herself, she was strong then. When she was taken to Trylle she lost the fight in her, sure it came through at the odd times but if that was a character trait it would be constant. At first she was didn't want to leave her family behind but once she left they hardly ever came up. She could have been developed a lot better. Then we have Finn the dark and mysterious love interest who mood changed so often, if you blink you miss it. Although I was rooting for him, he deserves better than a sulky girl. Elora, Wendy's real mother was a complete bitch, she showed no happiness towards her daughter at all. Whenever she spoke to her she told her off for not being a princess. She was rather annoying.

Lastly the plot. The concept of the whole novel was unique and not one I've seen done before but the problem was there was simply no plot at all. From the synopsis we get that Wendy was switched at birth and she's really a Troll princess, so she has to return to Trylle. This is complete within a few chapters then we are bogged down with an endless stream of useless information. The plot moves nowhere and the characters don't grow at all. I personally think this book could use a lot of work. And the ending left us at pretty much the same place as the beginning, which is never good.

I did like the unique concept for the novel and it was an enjoyable read, it's just that so much could have been changed to make it better and that's where it really falls flat to me. I would like to see what happens to Wendy next but she falls right to the bottom of my list.








1 comment:

  1. Traditionally I think Trolls in general are supposed to be cold and heartless - certainly every book I've ever read that has trolls in it shares the same traits. However, when you say they look like actual human beings, yeah that's a bit weird...

    Think I'll give this one a miss!

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!