Friday, 11 May 2012

Masque of the Red Death By Bethany Griffin


Masque Of The Red Death
Series: Masque Of The Red Death book #1
Release Date: 2nd August 2012
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 336

Synopsis: Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

Review: Masque of the Red Death is a very well written debut novel. The writing itself is beautiful, the vivid descriptions are the best I’ve read recently. Bethany Griffin's writing style is very unique, and I loved it. This book was a joy to read. The whole idea is very unique. It's a concoction of dystopian and steampunk mixed together perfectly to create this hauntingly beautiful story. I wasn't sure whether I was going to like this book or not but it blew my mind. It's such a mysterious tale that leaves the reader catching their breath in suspense.

This novel follows Araby Worth, daughter of a scientist, who lives in a plague ridden world. The only thing keeping her safe is the mask her father created, but even that is cursed with regret. Araby is haunted by the past and all she wants to do is forget. That's until she's pulled into a plan to stop the evil Prince. As the daughter of the man who made the mask she's a valuable weapon and wanted by many. Elliott, Araby's best friends’ brother is the only one who thinks he can save what's left of the world but he needs Araby’s help. To add to the complicated world, she's drawn to Will, one of the poorer members of the world.

Araby is living a life of luxury but it hasn’t always been that way. She knows what it's like to hide from the rest of the world living on a few rations. Araby's haunted with the past and it won't let her move on. She made a vow to her dead brother and she won't break it. Araby is a broken character. She knows pain and loss but that doesn’t stop her from helping others. She's brave and wants to help but is there anyone left she can trust? Will, is the love interest and he was great from the start with a heart full of kindness. The way he looks after he's younger siblings makes my heart break. It's so cute. Elliot on the other hand is rich and cocky but under it all he still suffers. He's human too.
I have a feeling I'm not doing this book any justice. If there's one thing that you get from this review, it has to be that you need to read this book. It's not out in the UK yet so go and pre-order it, you will not be disappointed. Masque of the Red Death is a compelling and beautifully written novel. The reader is hooked and drawn into the mysterious world from the very beginning. This is a very intriguing novel that really makes the reader think. After all if the only thing that is keeping you alive can kill you too, it must be horrifying. How would you feel if you lived in a world like that, knowing only a bit of plastic is keeping you separate from contaminated air? Incredible isn’t it? This book is still reeling in my mind now and I'm sure it will continue to do so. The sequel will definitely be a must read for me. For now though, order this book and fall into this tragically beautiful tale. You know you want to!



2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely fascinating! Really want to read it, I might have to pre-order!

    Love your blog btw, I'm a newbie to it but I'm hooked!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!