Thursday, 24 May 2012

Hollow Pike By James Dawson


Hollow Pike
Release Date: 2nd February 2012
Publisher: Indigo
Format: Paperback
Pages:  314

Synopsis: Something wicked this way comes...

She thought she’d be safe in the country, but you can’t escape your own nightmares, and Lis London dreams repeatedly that someone is trying to kill her. Lis thinks she’s being paranoid - after all who would want to murder her? She doesn’t believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn’t believe that anything bad will really happen to her. You never do, do you? Not until you’re alone in the woods, after dark - and a twig snaps... Hollow Pike - where witchcraft never sleeps.

Review: I've always been interested in witchcraft, the mystery and suspense surrounding it all. But more so the history of it all. Hollow Pike contains witchcraft and it's horrifying history, so naturally I was drawn to this book. Even more so when I realised the author was British. I received this book from Indigo recently but I've only just got around to reading it and damn I wish I'd read it sooner. It's so good. In Hollow Pike the teenage characters are so real, they are probably the most life like book characters I've read recently. James Dawson seems to have a talent when it comes down to writing as a teenage mind. Hollow Pike has humour and some seriously dark themes woven together to make a perfect novel that makes the reader laugh and freeze with suspense. It's the perfect mix of humour and seriousness making the novel very enjoyable and leaves the reader gripping on to the pages wanting to know more.

Hollow Pike follows Lis London as she moves to Hollow Pike to live with her sister. But Hollow Pike's no average town, it has a dark past with witchcraft thoroughly woven into it's history. Everyone knows of the myths but it's not real right? Lis starts having nightmares, the same one repeats itself over and over. In it someone is trying to kill her, Lis thinks it's nothing to worry about but she knows somethings not quite right with this new town. The town's gruesome past has a life of it's own and it will not be silenced.

I loved the character of Lis. She knew pain and was vulnerable inside. After having to face bullying at her old school, she knows how bad things can get. She swears that at this new school she won't let it happen again. She takes a different approach but it backfires and puts her back where she started but here there's a group of fellow freaks and together they are strong. Gaining confidence with her new friends we see Lis grow as a character and into her own. She was also clever and strong. Her courage appeared when she needed it, she was such a believable character.

Laura is the queen bee at school. She's the typical bitch but we finally see that deep down she's so alone, there's no one she can really share her feelings with. Kitty, Delilah and Jack became Lis's friends and each were unique in their own little ways. They made a great team together. Danny was the geek gone rugby player and he was so cute. I liked him instantly and hoped he and Lis would get together. The secondary characters were fleshed out really well and each were memorable in their own little ways.

Hollow Pike is an exceptional debut novel. From the first page the reader is hooked. The book's fast pace keeps the reader's attention, I didn't guess any of the twists and turns in the book. I read this book in a day, I was so engrossed the day flew by without me realising. It's a new unique take on the paranormal genre. With witchcraft a key theme more like a key character in the book. There's no spells and hexes like in Harry Potter instead it's creepy old folklore. Hollow Pike is also it's own character, it's creepy and spooky the best setting for a horror novel. I would say this could be classed as horror but it's not full blown gore more like adrenalin pumping suspense. It really keeps the reader at the edge of their seat. This is a brilliant novel by a very talented debut author. I really recommend you go and pick this book up. It's great to see a British book shining brighter than other books in the genre. It's a must read!



Can I also ask a favour from all you lovely followers, it would be great if you could go and vote for James Dawson for the Queen of Teen: here. I think he really deserves it! Thanks in advance!


2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this but I'm hearing great things about it! Love this blog - find mine at http://diaryoftheaverageteenbooklova.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!