Tuesday, 1 May 2012

The Calling By Kelley Armstrong


The Calling
Series: Darkness Rising Book #2
Release Date: 5th April 2012
Publisher: Atom
Format: Paperback
Pages: 326


Synopsis: In The Calling, the sizzling second book in the Darkness Rising trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong pumps up the romance, danger, and suspense that left readers of The Gathering clamoring for more.

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is—a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second instalment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page!

Review: Hmm, I'm such a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong and I have been for years. I love her writing style and I've read all of her books. But this book was so disappointing, it was a slap in the face, a cold bucket of water poured over my head. I cannot begin to explain my disappointment. Where has the Armstrong I've come to love gone? The book for me was really flat and rather dull. I'll elaborate more in a moment.

The Calling starts up where The Gathering ended. Maya and her friends have narrowly escaped the forest fire that one of the cabals set upon her small town. Action starts from the first chapter as their plane crash lands. This leaves Maya and her friends struggling to survive in the forest while they are trying to figure everything out. Like who is after them and what they are and why they are wanted.


I have a feeling this review will be rather short and blunt but that's how I feel about this book. From the start I knew this book was going in a direction I didn't like but because I had faith in the author I continued reading and now I'm so disappointed. The characters we met in The Gathering are now utterly flat, they're not realistic at all. They're not people they are just mechanisms used to boost the story along and I'm so gutted. In The Gathering there was so much potential but here it just falls leaving 2D characters on the page. There were no backgrounds and their emotions were the exact same throughout the whole novel. Their was no growth at all.

The book as well I think is too long. The gang spend pretty much all of it roaming a forest which is understandably under the circumstances but that's all there is. Hardly any of our questions were answered. The only thing I think we found out was what Daniel and Sam are and that is all. So most of the book is traipsing around the forest and then when we do get action scenes, they're over in seconds, leaving me confused at what had happened. Many times I had to reread a couple of pages just to see what critical information I missed the first time around. Even a matter of two paragraphs I'd lost what was happening because it was over in a sentence. I want to scream in frustration at this book, there was so much potential but it was wasted.

The ending left us at pretty much the exact same place at the start of the book. Hmm, It's so annoying. Although I didn't like this book I will read the next one as it's the last in the trilogy and hopefully then my questions will be answered.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!