Friday, 20 April 2012

Shifting By Bethany Wiggins


Shifting
Release Date: 27th September 2011 
Publisher: Walker Books
Format:  Hardcover
Pages: 353

Synopsis: After bouncing from foster home to foster home, Magdalene Mae is transferred to what should be her last foster home in the tiny town of Silver City, New Mexico. Now that she's eighteen and has only a year left in high school, she's determined to stay out of trouble and just be normal.

Agreeing to go to the prom with Bridger O'Connell is a good first step. Fitting in has never been her strong suit, but it's not for the reasons most people would expect-it all has to do with the deep secret that she is a shape shifter. But even in her new home danger lurks, waiting in the shadows to pounce. They are the Skinwalkers of Navajo legend, who have traded their souls to become the animal whose skin they wear-and Maggie is their next target.

Full of romance, mysticism, and intrigue, this dark take on Navajo legend will haunt readers to the final page.

Review: I received this book from Goodreads First Reads. It arrived last weekend and the cover looks incredibly pretty in person. I have to admit it was the cover that drew me to it in the first place and the book itself doesn’t disappoint.

Shifting is Bethany Wiggins debut novel and it is an unique story which is a welcome addition to the genre. From the very first page you’re hooked, and the book keeps your attention until the very end. This book contained Navajo mythology which I wasn’t very familiar with but Bethany Wiggins gives small details at a time so you’re not overwhelmed by all new information if you’re not familiar with it.

The book is about Maggie Mae who has moved from foster home to foster home and finally she has arrived at the last one before she turns eighteen. Trouble seems to follow Maggie everywhere she goes and this time is no exception. While struggling to act normal at her new school she’s constantly battling with the urge to shift and to try and stay out of trouble.

I fell in love with Maggie’s character from the first page. She’s everything a young heroine needs to be in a young adult book. She was strong willed and fierce but she understood her limits. Despite this she would do anything to stay unnoticed and out of trouble. Some of the scenes in the book where Maggie is bullied pulled at my heart strings. Maggie’s pain was raw and the reader felt it too. These scenes in particular where very strong and well written conveying the right emotions, it was simply brilliantly done. I still feel the urge to help Maggie now just thinking back to it. Another character I loved was Mrs Carpenter she was truly amazing. An old lady with lots of attitude, she was truly unique. Bridger, the love interest, sometimes I loved him, sometimes I hated him. I’m guessing this is because of the way Bridger treated Maggie sometimes.

Shifting is a truly unique novel which keeps your attention right from the first page. The plot kept you guessing from the start to the end, I didn’t predict many of the surprise twists. I really enjoyed this novel and it deserves more attention than its getting. It definitely deserves to have five stars and I recommend it to fans of paranormal and young adult books. I look forward to seeing what the author produces next.

1 comment:

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!