Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Blackbirds By Chuck Wendig


Blackbirds
Series: Miriam Black #1


Release Date: 24th April 2012
Publisher: Angry Robot Books
Format: ebook
Pages: 264

Synopsis: Miriam Black knows when you will die. She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides.

But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim.

No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try.

Review: I came across this book on Netgalley the other day. The cover instantly caught my eye, so I did a bit more research and the book itself sounded fantastic and very original. I requested it and that night I received it. I started reading it and within a few sentences I was hooked. The first chapter is brilliant it really claws at the reader until they are waiting for more. It definitely pulled me in straight away and instead of just reading one chapter, I read about eight. The book really does keep your attention until the very end.

Blackbirds follows Miriam Black, who has the ability to know when a person will die just by touching their skin. She sees visions of every type of death possible and each vision is crudely described so the true horror hits the reader head on. Her life is unpredictable one moment she could be watching someone having a heart attack and the next a car crash. On her journeys she meets Louis, a trucker who gives her a lift, but when she shakes his hand she sees that she will be the cause of his death. Miriam knows that fate gets what it wants and there's nothing she can do to stop it but she has to try doesnt she?

Miriam was a mega kick ass heroine, she had a sharp tongue and quick fists. She could easily hold her own, after all living pretty much on the streets toughens a women up. She has a cold hard persona because she sees things that no one else will ever know. She sees the true horrors of death. Her character was harsh and incredibly real. She has so many flaws and makes many mistakes but you stick by her until the end. She understands the harsh reality of the world and how no matter what your life is already planned out by fate, nothing can change that. She tries to make sense of the harsh world but it seems it's just throwing itself back in her face. Life's dirty and brutal and no one knows that better than Miriam. The other secondary characters were all solid and real, their own back stories showing the harsh realities of the world which is normally hidden behind closed doors. 

Blackbirds is a dark novel, the writing is sharp and intense, even brutal. It doesn't mess around with silly prose instead it creates shocking horrors which hit straight home. Its one tense ride but it's incredible. There is a lot of violence in this book and lots of gory detail, so if your squeamish I would probably leave this book. It's because of the fine detail and harsh reality and prose that makes this book so good. Blackbirds is a truly intense ride. A roller coaster of bends and bumps that you'll never be prepared for. I loved it, it was so so much better than I expected. 


 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I love gory books actually lol so I will probably enjoy this. I saw it on Netgalley but held myself back since I have so much to read but I'll definitely get to it in maybe a month or two. I love books where people can predict death. I hope Miriam can save Louis and she sounds really kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like I like. Adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!