Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Storm Glass By Maria V. Snyder


Description: Untrained. Untested. Unleashed. With her unique magical abilities, Opal has always felt unsure of her place at Sitia’s magic academy. But when the Stormdancer clan needs help, Opal’s knowledge makes her the perfect choice – until the mission goes awry. Pulling her powers in unfamiliar directions, Opal finds herself tapping into a new kind of magic as stunningly potent as it is frightening. Now Opal must deal with plotters out to destroy the Stormdancer clan, as well as a traitor in their midst. With danger and deception rising around her, will Opal’s untested abilities destroy her – or save them all?

Review: I recently read Snyder's Study series and I loved it, so of course I was so excited to grab the books in her Glass series next. Storm Glass is book 1 in the Glass series and the main character is Opal, who we met in the Study series. While reading the Study series I found Opal's character very unique and interesting, so when I realised she was the main focus of the Glass series I was super excited. I had high expectations for this books as Snyder's other series were so good and this book definitely didn't disappoint.

The story follows Opal and a few of her friends on her first mission from the Master Magicians but of course it is not that simple. After arriving at the Stormdance Clan a chain of events follows her, making this book full of action and keeps the reader eager to continue. I can't really say much more as there is so much happening in this book and they all link and I really don't want to give anything away. You need to go pick up this book and fall into this world and get drawn in by the story to see how much of a masterpiece this book is. All of Snyder's books are for that matter.

Like I have already stated, I loved Opal and discovering more about her, she is very different to Yelena (The main character of the Study series.) Opal is more thoughtful and thinks more about the risks that she puts herself in. This book follows her growth from how she pushes people away because of fear, and how she begins to combat this to let people get close to her so she realises not every person is bad. Finding trust is hard for us all but even more so for Opal whose lost her sister Tula a few years before. I also loved Opal's talent with glass and reading how she makes her glass animals, and how passionate she is about it. Kade is a Stormdancer, who is very confident and also finds it hard to trust. He has a lot in common with Opal. Ulrick is Opals Guard dog who is very overprotective, but he plays a key part in the plot.

I loved how a few characters from the Study series were in this book. It was brilliant seeing them from a different perspective and it just made me miss them and love them even more. Another brilliant thing about this book is you can see Snyder's growth as a writer, and it just makes her books even better.

This book was full of action and I liked how Opal would put up a fight and wouldn't give in. It surprised me how strongly I wanted Opal to escape and keep safe, this book really tugged on my emotions. I can't stress how good this book was. It really kept my attention and each chapter created a different obstacle and this is the definition of keeping a reader on the edge of their seat. I LOVED IT! After reading Snyder's work I can easily say she is one of my favourite authors and I don't want you to miss out on her awesomeness. This book is a definite for any Fantasy fan! It is utterly brilliant!

5/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!