Tuesday, 6 March 2012

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey


Description: Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart—he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season’s first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone—but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.

Review:

<><>
<><>

The Snow Child is a beautifully written novel. It’s an enchanting fairy tale suited for adult readers. The voice of the novel is incredibly well done and you cannot fault it. It is continuous and allows the reader to be pulled deep into the story and feel each emotion of sadness and pain as if it was their own raw emotion. The happiness also pulls at the readers heartstrings making them grow along with the characters. This was part of the joy of the story, following each character grow and watching them change through their highs and lows and the outcome of how each change affects the ending. The story itself is incredibly well done and I couldn’t fault it, I happily let it flow, engrossing me page by page. What made the novel even better was that I read it whilst it was snowing and this allowed me to fall deeper into the Alaskan Wilderness.

Honestly when I began reading this book, I wasn’t expecting much, but I was so wrong. I was blown away by how much talent this debut author has and how she uses it to fulfil this story’s potential. I loved the continuous themes of love and heartbreak in this novel as it was incredibly well done making the reader feel every ounce of emotion. The ending I wasn’t expecting but I was happy with it. I agree with what other people say that this will be an instant classic. It has the potential to be and I’m sure it will be soon. I would happily curl up and reread this book again within a heartbeat.

The Snow Child is a stunning debut novel which everyone needs to read and I can pretty much guarantee you will love it.

I received my review copy from Waterstones.

5/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!