Saturday, 17 March 2012

Sea Glass By Maria V. Snyder


First I would like to apologise for taking so long to read and review this book. I've had such a busy week, that I had hardly anytime to sit down and read, but finally I'm baack to review this book.

Description: Like the colorful pieces of sea glass washed up on shore, Opal has weathered rough waters and twisting currents. But instead of finding a tranquil eddy, Opal is caught in a riptide. Her unique glass messengers which allow instant communication over vast distances have become a vital part of Sitian society. Once used solely by the Councilors and magicians, other powerful factions are now vying for control. Control of the messengers equals control of Sitia. Unfortunately that also means control of Opal.

If that isn’t enough of a problem, Opal’s determination to prove blood magic is still being used is met with strong resistance. The Council doubts her, her mentor doubts her, and even her family is concerned. When her world is turned upside down, she begins to doubt herself. In the end, Opal must decide who to believe, who to trust, and who has control—otherwise she will shatter into a million pieces and be swept out by the tide.

Review: If you've been following my reviews you already know I'm a huge fan of Maria V. Snyder's work and Sea Glass is a brilliant addition. Sea Glass is book 2 of the Glass Trilogy. It continues pretty much where Storm Glass left off. We follow Opal as her character develops further and she begins to change and grow into her personality and realises that she has the power to make people listen to her and she will not just stand by and let things happen to those she loves. I really enjoyed seeing Opal grow as a character, she changes so much in a short amount of time but it is so realistically done and she transforms before out eyes. It was brilliant. I love this new and improved Opal!

The story follows Opal on her return to the Keep and the chilling reception that waits for her there. She becomes a prisoner because of the danger her power possesses, she sticks it out until her graduation when she finally decides to take matters into her own hands. This is the part where Opals character transforms and grows, it was very well done. Snyder really does have a way with words. We join Opal as she goes off on her own but of course, danger follows, leading to many events which I won't describe as I don't want to give anything away.

I've already stated I love Opal in this book so i will talk about the other characters. Janco from the Study series played a large part is this book and it was brilliant, we got to see him come into his own without his partner Ari. I loved Janco, he's incredibly funny and added humour to this book which lightened serious topics. Deep down I want Opal to end up with Janco but i doubt this will happen but I will have to see. Kade again was a big part in this book and he is also a strong character. The master magicians and Ulrick played an smaller part in this book, especially Ulrick who wasn't in it much at all actually. Devlen changed in this book and we got to see him as a ally, instead of an enemy. It was incredible to see how the bad guy is actually soft underneath and has moved on from his past.

It took me longer to read this book because I was extremely busy but I loved it nonetheless. Just like every other Snyder book it keeps you on the edge of your seat and wanting more. Certain cliffhangers at the end of chapters made me gasp in surprise as i really didn't see it coming at all. Sea Glass is as easily as good as Storm Glass if not better and I can't wait to pick up Spy Glass next.

5/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!