Thursday, 22 March 2012

The Pink Hotel By Anna Stothard

WARNING: This is an ADULT book.



Description:  A seventeen-year-old London girl flies to Los Angeles for the funeral of her mother Lily, from whom she had been separated in her childhood. After stealing a suitcase of letters, clothes and photographs from her mum's bedroom at the top of a hotel on Venice Beach, the girl spends her summer travelling around Los Angeles returning love letters and photographs to the men who had known her mother. As she discovers more about Lily's past and tries to re-enact her life, she comes to question the foundations of her own personality.


Review:
<><>
<><>
<><><>
I received this book from Waterstones to review.

I think the synopsis of the book is incredibly wrong. Indeed she, does go to LA but she doesn’t attend the funeral instead she breaks into the hotel which her mother owned and steals a suitcase full of her mother’s stuff. After she escapes a close encounter with her mother’s new husband she decides to find one person who was mentioned in the suitcase. Not lots of people like it states in the synopsis. After reading this book I still don’t see how she was meant to be re-enacting her mother’s life. Sure she goes and visits people her mother knew, and even sleeps with two of her mother’s ex-boyfriends. It was a seriously messed up book, just like the back drop of LA.

I want to say I tried to like this book but I didn’t from the start and I had to force myself to finish it so I could review it properly. I even ended up reading another book while I was currently reading this; I just didn’t like it at all. The main character, who I can’t even remember her name, wasn’t very likeable, she just saw everything wrong in the world. She moans about wanting to be invisible but then she puts on her mother’s dresses and struts around LA. She was slightly annoying. Something’s that she said I agreed with like noticing small details of things others look over. But obviously this was the author’s way with words which we didn’t see flowing well together too often. There was about one chapter which I liked and it made me feel something other than being bored. Wise maybe.

The one thing I have to say is that this book reminded me of The Catcher in the Rye for some reason and I didn’t like that book either. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone. I feel bad for writing a bad review but I have to tell others that this isn’t a good book. It’s certainly one I will never pick up again. The only good part of this book was the last few chapters where the story actually kicked in and pulled the reader’s attention and kept it.

2/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!