Thursday, 1 March 2012

Legend By Marie Lu


Description: The United States is gone, along with its flooded coasts. North America's two warring nations, the western Republic and the eastern Colonies, have reached a breaking point. In the midst of this broken continent and dark new world are two teenagers who will go down in history....
Born into the slums of Los Angeles, fifteen-year old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. A mysterious boy with no recorded image or fingerprints. A boy who should no longer exist. A boy who watches over his family until one evening, when the plague patrols mark his family's door with an X--the sign of plague infection. A death sentence for any family too poor to afford the antidote. Desperate, Day has no choice; he must steal it.

Born to an elite family in Los Angeles' wealthy Ruby sector, fifteen-year old June is the Republic's most promising prodigy. A superintelligent girl destined for great things in the country's highest military circles. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country--until the day her brother Metias is murdered while on patrol during a break-in at the plague hospital.

Only one person could be responsible.

Day.

And now it's June's mission to hunt him down.

The truth they'll uncover will become legend

Review: I'd been dying to read this book ever since I saw the gorgeous cover on the American version. After reading the blurb of the book, I was in love. I had high expectations for this book, I was expecting it to be the next big dystopian novel and some previous reviews I read enforced this. After finishing this, this afternoon I'm slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong this is a good book but it had so much potential to be better that the actual thing was a let down. Nevertheless this was an enjoyable read.

The plot is exactly as stated in the description, June's brother Metias is murdered during a break in at the hospital. As Metias was the last surviving member of Junes family she promises herself to hunt the murderer down and kill him herself. Let's just say things don't exactly go as planned, I don't want to say much more about the plot as I fell it will give too much away. The plot was simple but enjoyable, it wasn't woven with other plot threads, it was just this one and a few more on backgrounds. This is again where I found it disappointing, the plot had so much more potential but it seems the author played it simple and stuck to this one problem.

The world on the other hand was fresh and detailed but again not as well built as some other dystopian worlds. I enjoyed the different jobs that people had and hearing about the Trial and its effect on people. Oh, and I think I loved the clothing June wore as well. I loved the action in this book, it was fresh and brilliantly detailed and well done. The action itself was probably some of the best I've read.

Right, onto characters, I loved June and Day and how similar they were but so different too. They had so much in common but as they were raised differently their views were completely different. June's the prodigy and Day is a master criminal. Their worlds collide and their chemistry is static from the beginning until the end. I loved June's character, she was strong and powerful, a brilliant role model for young girls today. She was clever and could analyse every little detail and even better she could defend herself. Day, is also strong willed and will do anything to help his family, who are his only weakness. All the action that contained Day was brilliant and kept me at the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens next.

Overall, this is a good book which will keep the readers attention, and if your looking for some action go buy this book. It is another take on the Dystopian genre and I look forward to seeing what happens in the next book.  The only down side, I think it could have been more complex to reach it's full potential.

4/5 Stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!