Monday, 4 April 2011

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

This is a review of The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong.

Description:

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can’t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students—for every grade from kindergarten to twelve.

Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya's determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya's home, and they won’t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts getting negative vibes from certain people and things. It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret—and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark


Review:

I'd been waiting for this book a long time so when I saw it in a bookstore this weekend I couldn’t help but pick it up. I’m a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong’s work and have read every one of her books from Women Of The Otherworld, the Nadia Stafford series and the Darkest Powers Trilogy so I was very excited when she revealed she would be continuing this story line in a whole new trilogy with new characters, and I had high expectations for this book and it didn’t disappoint.


This book is about a girl called Maya living in the medical research town called Salmon Creek with her adoptive parents. This book follows her story as she begins questioning her best friend’s death and after getting closer to the mysterious new boy Rafe she finds out there is a lot more to question about herself and her friends let alone the whole town. Rafe has the answers to her questions about who and what she really is but agreeing to them is a lot harder than Maya believes although deep down she knows every word he is saying is correct. The book ends with a cliff-hanger which leaves me with lots of questions but I know after reading Armstrong’s Darkest Powers Trilogy that they will be answered in the end and all I have to do now is wait for the next books.


There wasn’t anything wrong with this book that I can think of off the top of my head except that it is slow to begin with but it’s a new trilogy and it had to start somewhere. I was so eager to find out what Maya was that I sailed through the book within a day. I also blame this on myself for wanting to know what Armstrong was letting us in for with this new series and I wasn’t disappointed. I love Armstrong’s style of writing and in this book it certainly didn’t disappoint my high expectations. I loved each of the characters; all were believable and had real depth to them. I especially love Maya, although Kelley has used female main characters in every one of her books she never fails to create a new character which is so different to the rest and in this book it was clear she had written a strong female character which would fit in with the rest of her strong heroines.


The thing I did really love while reading this book was the hindsight I had because I had read the previous trilogy and Armstrong’s adult series Women of the Otherworld which is set in the same world. I could easily make connections between them and I loved being able to do this as I felt I had a better idea about what was going on than the characters. I really enjoyed doing this as it linked to the previous trilogy with the link to the projects and a specific character. Then there were also the links to the adult series with the cabals. I was highly impressed with these little clues which only someone who had read some of Armstrong’s other books would have picked up.


To finish this review I have to say I loved this book and it clearly deserved 5 stars with the believable characters and a whole world which you get dragged into. The plot was also brilliant and although I had hindsight from the other series I was still surprised at some things that happened and the book never failed to keep me entertained. I was engrossed in this book for about 5 hours and there was no way anyone would keep me from finishing it. I highly recommend this book especially if you are a fan of Kelley Armstrong’s work and if you’re not, I still highly recommend reading this book and even more I recommend Armstrong’s other books as they are all brilliant and never fail to entertain you.


I have written a hell of a lot more than expected which only further proves how much ive enjoyed this book and how much I will definitely be continuing the series as I feel I have connected with these characters. I highly recommend this book and i think you should either go out or go online and buy this book now.

1 comment:

  1. Im a new follower and have just read this book, I was a tad disappointed but I did love it , though I think Im more of her Women/Men of the Otherworld Series. I did like the references to the Nast and Cabals Families - Good ol Kristof and Lucas. www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all the comments I get. I love hearing from fellow readers. If you have a blog, post a link and I'll pop over. My Blog is an Award Free Zone I appreciate the gesture but I will not be accepting Awards. Thank you for stopping by, remember to come back if you like my posts!